Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

j-tone, p'ish neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Atef, Jul 5, 2004.

1. I like the jazz tone, especially from the bridge pickup

but I like the neck a bit beefier than jazz, a little less beefy than P would be perfect, but I'd go with p sized

any ideas what to look for

oh btw. under 800 $(I'm in europe, my limit is actually 1000 euros, but basses are more expensive here), and readily available?

2. Hmm, well some P basses made in the 70s had a smaller nut width. Most P's are 42 mm, while Jazzes are 38mm. Some made in the 70s (maybe early 70s?) had a 40mm nut. Perhaps you could buy one with a J pickup added in the bridge position. It's not a true J tone, but you could cut the P pickup a little, or all the way for bridge only. You can even buy a Japanese reissue of that P at www.ishibashi.co.jp, and make the mod yourself. That would be my best guess. Of course, you could simply buy a P neck and J body off Warmoth or Ebay and put them together.

3. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Check out the Deluxe P-special

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    jazzy bridge pu...
    thick neck...
    Europe...

Do you like a bit of growl with it? ;)
    Check out a Corvette Std. You wont regret it. ;) :cool:
    Can be had used, too, for cheaper

5. G&L

one of the tribute models or a used US model.

their L2000 and SB-2 come standard with a P type neck.

6. yeah
    have been thinking about the tributes...wonder what they cost over here

and I'm not big on warwick
    but i'll look into it
    thanks

7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Stingray?

8. have indeed been considering a sting(well a SUB that is, mostly the same thing I guess)

can I get a good jazz tone out of it?
    would the sub sterling have a better jazz tone(or has that thing got a jazz sized neck? or inbetween P and J?)?

don't really like that finish though, but I can get over that

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    G&Ls are hard to find in Europe... but I think station-music.de (I'm not sure about the address, but its something similar) is the main European dealer...
    And as for the MM basses, they wont give you that jazz tone, but they will be near that. I dont know about their neck, though

Check out other European builders, too - like Hot Wire makes jazz-like basses, Marleaux also has a jazz-style bass, then theres a lot more smaller luthiers (though they usually cost a bit more, but if you can find used... then its a good deal)

10. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    The Sterling has more tonal flexibility, but it has a thinner, Jazz type neck. The coil tap on the Sterling can get it closer to the single coil sound. The Stingray sound is somewhat like an active jazz with the bridge pickup soloed. The active electronics and humbucker fill it out a bit more though. Stingrays are unique beasts, but the neck is beefy and it gets that bridge pickup sound. Now the SR5 has got both the coil tap and a big neck, but you were talking fours.

11. how about a company like epiphone

won't they have a bass I'd like?

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    My main P-bass [74] is one of these basses, they are called A necks [they are the same size as the VERY early J necks]; the normal P-neck is called C neck, B necks do exist but are very rare as far as I know.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I've played good ones and bad ones, their long scale basses follow the standard P and J shapes.

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    For 1000 €s, you1d better get something better than that... :rolleyes:

15. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    get GnL's SB2, it is slightly over 1000euros

16. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Duh.
    I only tried the P Deluxe V, I didn't realise that.