J w/ flats? What will I miss?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by markob, Mar 21, 2011.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    P Bass player almost exclusively over quite a few years/gigs. Maple boards. Went to flats only a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Love them. They fit my style with tone and feel. I'm ready to buy my first Jazz. New American Standard with a rose board. The ones I've played in the shops are all strung w/ rounds. They sound okay at "shop" volumes but don't feel right to me. I know it's subjective but is there an advantage to rounds on a Jazz? Plenty of us P Bass players use flats but I'm unfamilar w/ the Jazz bass contingent. Man I never thought I'd admit to liking these "skinny neck" things but I've been bit. Any or you Jazzers care to comment on your preference? Flat or round and why? Really looking for opinions on J's w/ flats. :help:My gigs these days are in a Worship setting and a bit of recording for sound libraries. Thanks folks.

mark

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    there's absolutely no reason not to put flats on a jazz bass. BTW, that's the way that ALL of them came from the factory from 1960-1974.

3. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    I was a die-hard TI flat user for many years. Lately I've been trying different rounds and have settled on DR Sunbeams for now on my Jazz equipped Pre. The Jazz Bass is one of the most versatile basses that ever was or likely ever will be. You can string it with anything and it's gonna work. Experiment.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah. my favorite flats are TI jazz flats. i have them on three of my basses (a ric, a p bass, and a jazz bass).

5. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I tend to like rounds a bit more on J basses, but they work just fine with flats. You're not going to "miss" anything at all, just a different tone palate. Maybe try a set of La Bella's if you really want to get old-school...

6. Jazz bass
    +
    TI Jazz Flats
    =
    Bliss!

7. What will you miss? String squeak!

8. Dude, jazz + flats = old school bliss! Wanna hear my 73' jazz with flats? Click on the link right below this that says Streamliner 900 + Avatar TB-153.

9. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    Question is: What will you gain???

10. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    I went from Rotosound 66 nickel roundwounds to Rotosound 77 monel flatwounds.

My experience:
    Less growl, less treble (although the 77 is a rather bright flatwound). Much smoother feel, less string noise. Also, the 77 flats are a lot higher tension and more rigid feeling than the rounds.

Both have their merrits. I mostly did it to save my (fretless) fretboard from wear, but I have grown to love the sound and feel of the flats. They don't give me blisters as easily.

11. If you lke flats then I see no reason why you shouldn't use them on your Jazz. TIs would sound great. But, They sound really swell with a good set of nickel rounds to me as well, and have a great punchy sound with them. They grind with rounds and punch with flats. Your choice.

12. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Jeez, throw some light chromes on that thing...nirvana!

13. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have light chromes (.40-.100) on my Jazz. Bliss indeed!

14. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry for the derail, but how about some props to faulknersj for some mad playing on that YouTube clip!! Really nice stuff, man!

15. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    If you want to try a flat style string that will give you that flat sound but still retain some of the roundwound brightness you could try the Fender Nylon Tapewound 9120's. They are very low tension. They are in fact a roundwound string wrapped in a black nylon tape. I have them on my fretless J. I dig em a lot but will probably try some TI Jazz flats soon.

16. In my 27 years of playing, all I've ever used was stainless steel roundwounds; mostly Rotosound or DR Hi Beams. I once tried Rotosound 77 flats on my Jazz bass and HATED them. Maybe that brand wasn't the best to experiment with flats but I quickly removed them and they still remain on my cheapie Carlos Robelli ABG. A few months ago, at the suggestion of my favorite repairman (Gary Fried in Brooklyn) I tried D'Addario nickels on my jazz bass since I was complaining that my Jazz is too bright. Well, I like them but I may go back to SS rounds for my jazz next time. I feel that they work best (for me) on my Jazz bass but I also put a set of Nickels on my P bass and for THAT bass, it's the best compromise between Rounds and Flats ( again, just MHO)

17. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Just wanted to give a +1 for Gary Fried! If you live around NYC he is "the man" for repairs, mods, etc. Reasonable prices, great guy, no BS!! I won't let anyone else near my stuff since I met him.

18. I'm a HUGE fan of Chromes on P-Basses. Love it; one of my favorite sounds. I've tried Chromes on my Squier Precision/Jazz V (Jazz electronics) and on my Squier Affinity Jazz V. I thought I would really like the flats on my Jazz, but I didn't. I found I prefer the rounds, as the added pickup really gives punch, bite, and snap that I don't find on my P.

Jazz with rounds, P with flats, all I need. Flats on a Jazz can and do sound great; just not what I'm looking for.

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    You'll miss buying new strings every 1 to 2 months.

Oh wait, maybe you won't miss that. :D

20. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    I've got Chromes on mine! My Am. Std Jazz is tuned to Eb, sounds great & has no tension issues. My MIM Jazz project(maple Allparts P neck) will have them on as soon as I get it together. :hyper:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021