1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J2, Double Jazz, Precision Deluxe Bridge Humbucker... Whatever you call them, who makes them?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by St_G, Dec 24, 2017.

1. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Anyone know who makes an aftermarket pickup in this slightly unusual variation on the standard soapbar shape?

Attached Files:

2. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welp.

3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Nordstrand???

4. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Not that I can find on their website, no.

Delano has one that looks about right, but that's the only one I've found so far. Searching for them is tricky, though, because no one agrees on what to call them and all the likely terms tend to bring up a bunch of other things.

5. bovince

bovince

Mar 23, 2017
    Hi
    Why de you want to change this pickup ? On EBay you can find the original fender part N° 004-9488-000.
    If you want to change the sound, you can swap one of the coil by one coil from an other classic J style pickup...
    I made this for an am Dlx P bass with the bridge humbucker. I converted it to passive. The stock pick ups are really weak so I took a coil from a Seymour Duncan SJB2 and put it in the double J cover. It works fine with a classic 62 P neck PU.

St_G likes this.
  6. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Honestly? I don't, now. You ever buy a cheap bass online and immediately start planning how you're gonna fix it? Well, this was that. Now that I've got it, it turns out that the bridge pickup is actually the best thing about it. Like, it's legit good and it's not going ANYWHERE. The rest of the electronics are on notice, but that pickup is here to stay.

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I think a company called Sentel makes some, but I haven't tried them.
    I've been searching for years for a better sounding bridge pickup for my Precision Lyte Deluxe, with no luck. Eventually I just gave up.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Schaller used to make a double J pickup like that, you can find them on some 1980s Kramers. Not sure if they are still available.

9. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Seymour Duncan makes one. The NYC Bass. I currently have no basses with these pu's, but seriously considering them for a short scale parts bass I will be putting together soon. I have a friend that swears by them, and I must say, every time I hear him, he gets great sounds out of his Warmoth Jazz. Here's link, scroll to bottom of page.

Steve Bailey Active Soapbar

NYC-Bass-set-4-strg-700x493.

10. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I believe OP is talking about the physical shape of the pickup cover, not specifically about the guts. Like two jazz pickups jammed together.

i.e. this picture that was posted in the first post.
    be0666c7-d522-41e4-bc80-3ebe95372589-.

St_G and funkinbottom like this.
  11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    The NYC Bass pickup is more of a standard soapbar size with the mounting screws on the ends.

funkinbottom likes this.
  12. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    NKBassman likes this.
  13. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yeah. The SD NYC pickups are EMG shaped I think, which are both wider and shorter than a double-jazz route. Believe me, I've measured.

St_G, Zoobiedood and funkinbottom like this.
  14. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Just for anyone in the future who may come across this thread because they have the same question, here's what I found:

Delano makes one. Curtis Novak makes one, but it isn't surfaced on his site (the page is still there if you Google, but afaik you can't navigate to it from his home page), Nordstrand has the molds and can make them custom for you.