1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J45, NJ4SE, NJ4SV, Duncan STK-1 or something else?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Dec 22, 2006.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm looking for a humcancelling pup to use in my Jazz project. I've pretty much narrowed my pup search to four models: the Bill Lawrence J45, the Seymour Duncan Classic Stack and the two humbucking Nordstrands- the NJ4SV and SE. I scratched the Dimarzio Model Js because for all the hype, they sound more like humcancelling pups than single coils by a loooong shot. Great, but not for this bass.

I've made a concerted effort to finish this project (unlike so many other basses that I started to mod and never did), so I made all the expensive or vanity purchases first, leaving the pickups for last because I knew I wouldn't scrimp on those. Everything is here but the pups, pots and pickguard. What I want is a quiet pup with a modern, growly, single-coil(ish) tone to use with passive electronics.

The bass will be used for straightahead jazz, but with no intention of imitating an upright or "vintage" sound. Rounds, a lot of bridge pup, and a bit of neck.

Which should I choose?

I'm also open to hearing about Aero, Suhr, and any other pup you all think might fit the job.

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    <bump>

NO ONE here has tried one or more of these pups to compare them? Yes, I read Luknfur's thread, and it was great. I simply need more opinions.

When I'm famous, I'll remember who didn't post here, and I won't sign your bass when you ask :D

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's all you'll get too. Opinions. You've got to make up your own mind. They're all good pickups. Each just has a slightly different sound. I'd go for the SD mayself because I have used and liked their pickups. There's my opinion. I'll send you my bass to sign in advance. Please write'" I owe evrything to you" and your signature. Thank you. :)