Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zoroaster03, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Roighty! (not a typo)

I've only just started getting into Jazz, and my mate Patrick's been spoonfeeding me a lot of this jazz that I'm listening to, but because he's a drummer I get a lot of Gene Krupa, Buddy rich and the like.

I've dwellved into Jaco and Stanley Clarke, and although it's good listening, i feel as though I need more bass to listen to.

Any suggestions of songs/albums/bassist/bands I should start listening to?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wait a minute... you're listening to Jaco, but you want *more* bass to listen to? Huh? Which Jaco recordings, exactly, don't have enough bass for you? :D
  3. Well what kind of Jazz do you want to listen too? The old stuff like Duke Ellington or Louie Armstrong? Or the more Fusion-ish type jazz like Miles Davis's later recordings and Stanley Clark. If you clear this up I can give you some good stuff to listen too.
  4. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Fusion is the way to go if you want to hear killer bassplay. Try some Tribal Tech & Allan Holdsworth for starters. Prog metal has the real gems though so make sure to check out that genre aswell.
  5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Some that immediately come into my mind are:

Paul Chambers: Played on most of the Mid to late 50's Miles Davis & John Coltrane albums. Check out "Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet" and "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section".

Charles Mingus: Personal favs include "Mingus Ah Um", Duke Ellington's "The Money Jungle", and "Blues and Roots".

Scott LaFaro: Bassist for the legendary Bill Evans Trio. Good examples include "Everybody Digs Bill Evans", "Sunday At The Village Vanguard".

That'll get your started down the right path...

NOTE: These are NOT fusion players.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dave Holland....straight up, fusion, whateva, the man delivers.
  7. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ray Brown! He has set many standards for jazz bass playing and will forever go down in history as one of the greatest jazz bass players ever! Seriously, listening and transcribing his stuff does a world of good.
  8. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    hey man check out Ron carter. as far as fusion goes it's fun but if you're looking for bass in a more traditional love there is good anthony jackson stuff chuck Rainey has some nice stuff. on upright Anyone playing with oscar peterson usually becomes my favorite bass player for a while he just knows how to pick them

did I mention Ron Carter? you know, the best bass player in the world?
  9. Cheers guys; i appreciate all the posts.

Trad Jazz and Fusion are mainly the one's I'm looking at, but any form of Jazz is good. It expands the mind and musical favouritism to listen to new music.

i should have cleared it up before-hand, sorry :)
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Do you guys have a different definition of "Trad Jazz"?

Because over here, trad Jazz refers to early Jazz - dixieland and the like - y'know, Tuba, Clarinets (with Too Much vib), banjo etc.

When you say you want "Trad Jazz & Fusion", I assume you're not talking about Trad Jazz in this sense??

If so, then you're skipping out several hugely important eras of Jazz - swing, bop, cool etc. and skipping straight from banjos, tubas, clarinets etc. to synths & electric basses :D
  11. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    well Moley I think we don't have to splice hairs here I think if we just point out the important bass players in jazz history we'll be fine. Otherwise we gotta get Ken Burns in here (and Lord knows I've had enough of that guy) another bass player I thought would be good was Milt Hinton that guy has some style. I don't know if Anyone mentioned him but No one should leave him out. maybe we can get a little chronological

Milt Hinton
    Jimmy Blanton
    Oscar Pettiford
    Slam stewart
    Ray Brown
    Charlie haden
    Scott Lafaro
    Charles Mingus
    Ron Carter
    Niels Hennig Orsted Peterson

ok thats a lot of walking and 2 feel right there. now as far as more fusion style bass players or modern players

Christian McBride
    John Pattitucci
    Jimmy Haslip
    Gary Willis
    Gerald Veasely
    Richard Bona (featured on the last Pat Metheny album)
    Anthony jackson
    Steve Swallow

That should be enough listening for anyone for a while. I suggest "Beneath the mask" for Pattitucci and the Philedelphia Experiment for McBride. The Michel Camilo and Michael Petrucciani (sp?) stuff for anthony jackson is pretty good.

you should also check out 2 guys named Gary karr and Edgar Meyer. Incredible bass players. not jazz. but mind blowing none the less
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Moley...no it's really the same over here but most newcomers to jazz or occasional listeners just don't know that. I didn't really know that classification either until about 6 years ago when I learned it in a college music class.

Don't assume that most jazz "n00bs" are gonna know all the classifications. For one not familiar with classifications "Traditional" is a seemingly natural term to use to describe jazz from Duke to Branford. So let those of who are "in the know" go easy on the rest. ;)

brad cook
  13. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    when I said traditional I wasn't so much refering to an Era but more or less the Role of the bass. For instance Ray brown's role as a bass player would seem more traditional then say Michael Manrings. :)
  14. Ok, let's try again..... :rolleyes: :D

When i said "Trad Jazz" i really meant "cool jazz" ie Dave Bruebeck and the like (lost for other cool players; they'll come to me later). i got my terms wrong.

Again. ;)

thanks for the replies, though.
  15. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Not in his time he was'nt;)
  16. Check this one out. It's a mixture of jazz, fusion and funk.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The situation is different in Britain - most people know what Trad Jazz is and believe me it is horrible.

"Trad" is a term used quite frequently over here - I think it became popularly assocated with "High Society" events like the Henley Regatta - a 'Trad' band was obligatory.

If you want to know what we're talking about - just think the Mary Poppins film, set in London and the sort of Jazz used there !! :spit:

So - if I mentioned Jazz to my work colleagues - say on a nationwide internet forum - they will all think of Trad Jazz and talk about Acker Bilk

and Dixieland!! :meh:

Charlie Parker, Miles, Coltrane etc - all bypassed the British Public, in general - but they know what you mean when you say Trad Jazz!!
  18. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    i like charlie hunter as a jazz 'bass player'. also, if you don't mind a bit of dixeland, the tuba in the dirty dozen brass band is wicked.
  19. FYI, Scott did not play on 'Everybody Digs...' it was Sam Jones.

Smokin record btw!