Jack Blades with the band Rubicon in the late 70s - Very Funky

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Richland123, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Jack Blades with the band Rubicon in the late 70s. Some funky bass work including a bass solo.

Rubicon - That's The Way Things Are - YouTube

Rubicon was formed in San Francisco by Jerry Martini, who was an original member of Sly & the Family Stone. Other members of the group included Greg Eckler (vocals, drums), Brad Gillis (guitar), Max Haskett (lead vocals, horns), Dennis Marcellino (sax, vocals), Jim Pugh (keyboards) and Jack Blades (bass). They released two albums before disbanding. Brad Gillis and Jack Blades went on to form Night Ranger, which would go on to great success in its own right.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Dang, that is a far cry from Night Ranger. Kind of cool, though. Who knew Jack could get funky? :cool:

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    You sure that's Jack? Like Monetbass said, who knew Jack could get so funky. Jack let me in backstage to a Nightranger and Hagar show in the 80's when I caught him getting off the tour bus. I always thought he was a cool guy for that. Nothing like being a drunk high school kid backstage walking right by the red rocker (who was my idol at the time) in total awe. Thaks again Jack. That might have also steered my toward the bass as I thought Jack put on a great show that night.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  4. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Inactive

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Wow...I'm hugely surprised!

I always knew Jack was a competent bass player, but I never knew or assumed that he had the funk in him. I love his little slides and nuance in that recording...

I'm also surprised at the competence of the entire band. I've always been a Brad Gillis fan, and always knew the name Rubicon but never heard their music. I love the horns, and especially the Mike Patton-esque vocal breakdown at the end. Definitely not run of the mill stuff! Hugely impressed at the diversity of these Night Ranger guys...

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eek:

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wow! Thanks for posting? I had heard Jack Blades was quite a funk dude before Night Ranger, but damn! Jack certainly channeled Larry Graham, and that drummer was sick too!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  8. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Like I said, the fact that Jack Blades was in a Jazz-funk styled rock band before he started the AOR known as Night Ranger and Damn Yankees is incredible. I believe he played a sunburst Music Man Stingray Bass and a Fender Jazz Bass before he moved on to those Kramer Ferrington acoustic bass guitars and Alembic basses. Bought the California Jam 2 concert 2 records set at a store today. Very bluesy.

He also was in Damn Yankees, and played with Styx and Aerosmith (his bandmate was Styx guitarist Tommy Shaw) and they co-wrote a few songs in both bands.

9. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    Saw Rubicon and Jack was playing a S.D. Curlee bass .

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    That's what I saw him use with Night Ranger on their first major club tour. Shortly after, he switched to Hamers, and now he's using Atomic basses based on his semihollow Hamer sig models. But here he is with Rubicon at Cal Jam II absolutely crushing a Jazz Bass...solo starts at about 4:13...

IMMusicRulz and jerry like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They certainly held nothing back.

JimmyM and IMMusicRulz like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021