Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jack blades

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JWC, May 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I saw Nightranger at Music Midtown in Atlanta last weekend. Jack Blades was the bassit and singer. had no idea he played bass. what do you think of jack? He didn't do a hell of alot of anything spectacular in his playing.

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Dude you post too damn much

;)

/lovebown

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Only 3 today. And they are all intelligent. So suck on that slapnut.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    But he holds his bottom down and sings his ass off. That's plenty in a band with 2 shredder guitarists.

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Yes, Jack did sing his ass off at the show. Also, it might have been my imagination, but I could have sworn the keyboardist was playing most of the bass parts while he played around on bass. But those 2 shredders were bad as hell!!!

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Could be....but in rock-n-roll reality, a frontman who jumps around and looks cool (Jack used to...I assume he still does) and connects with the crowd while playing passable bass is more valuable to a band of that type than the greatest non-singing no personality bassvirtuoso could ever be. I think Night Ranger was one of the better 80's hair metal bands. Jack added a lot to Damn Yankees too.

And for the record....check out an old 70's video of California Jam II. There's a killer horn funk band towards the end called "Rubicon". There's a bassist in that band slapping like a mofo, grooving like hell. Guess who that bassist was???

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im not overly impressed with Jacks bass playing but I did love night ranger, 7 wishes and older. I do however like his singing....Im a firm believer in never judge a book by its cover and that jack probobly knows alot more and is alot better than what he was in night ranger. i have this atitude cos i saw kip winger, and he was composing music like john tesh was...im not crazy about the style of music but that man can compose very intricate stuff. so i assume he's also much better on bass as well. oh yeah, night ranger was more about the guitars than bass anyway

8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Then maybe Michael Anthony might be the same way. Scary.

9. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I dont know why everybody busts on Michael Anthony. He is a great "rock" player and grooves his ass off. His lines are simple but elegantly simple. Plus he is a great singer.

10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    No, he is an adequate rock bassist if anything.

Singer, eg? Hell, they should've just let him be the singer and to hell with Roth, Haggar, and Cherone.

11. Hey man, Michael Anthony may play nothing but 8th notes in Van Halen's songs, but I went to see them in 1991, and he got a solo spot, and broke out a lot of stuff I bet no one thought he could do.. jazz, bebop, super-fast walking blues stuff, slap-and-pop, etc. That changed my opinion of him.

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I think he WAS the singer at the beginning, when the band was called Mammoth... IMO he has a great voice for backing vocals.

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Was he the Mammouth??

14. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    And Dave, 8th notes would have been fine, but I remember him playing more whole notes than anything else.

15. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I think the tune was Poundcake. He keeps 16ths throughout the whole tune. Very similiar to What is Hip but more simple. Whole notes? He does not play whole notes on most tunes. Im not saying he is some monster player but he does not suck dude.

16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Jump- whole notes
    Runnin With The Devil- quater notes
    Beautiful Girls- Eddie had to have played that :)

17. what's going on? it's not like you to bash Mike Anthony, JWC.

:D

18. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yes ok. And? Whats your point? The guy plays a quarter note or a whole note so he is a bad bass player? I dont get it. The guy can groove period.

What would you have played for running with the devil? That line drives the song nicely.

19. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Actually, bashing Michael Anthony has just become this huge inside joke with some buddies of mine I jam with. One guy wanted to do some Van Halen to finish out one of our sets, and I said, "cool, that just gives me a longer break than you guys get". Just funny stuff. If I ever met Mike, I would shake his hand, but would not let him autograph my bass.

20. yeah, if I ever met Mark King I'd shake his hand, but I wouldn't let him adjust the length of my strap. or adjust the EQ on my amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.