Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jack Bruce on the Grammys

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Feb 8, 2006.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Word has it that Clapton and Baker won't be there tonight to pick up Cream's lifetime achievement award, but Jack will.
    My hero and the ultimate musician's musician, Jack Bruce, on the Grammys! Finally, a reason for me to watch...:hyper:

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks...i'll watch it now!

3. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    Jack yeah! "Are You the One?" with Mclaughlin and Tony Williams. Who Knew he could do that?

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    If you really look into his career, you'll find that he's got more of a range than just about anyone else. For example, on Carla Bley's "Escalator Over the Hill" (circa 1970), he sings duets with Linda Ronstadt and plays blazing bass in a jazz trio setting with McLaughlin and Paul Motian. Then you've got his blooze-rock work with West, Bruce and Laing, Robin Trower and Gary Moore. And his "Monkjack" with Bernie Worrell, where he plays organ and sings. He played 'cello in Charlie Watts' big band. He wrote a string quartet when he was 11. He was the only geezer onstage who still had some crazy fire in him when I saw him with Ringo's All-Star Band in 2000. He's recorded with Zappa ("Apostrophe"). Marvin Gaye asked him to join his band (pre-Cream). He was the original choice for Led Zep bassist, but he turned them down because they were too commercial for him. He had a trio with Larry Coryell and Mitch Mitchell. He once subbed for Percy Heath, on upright, in the Modern Jazz Quartet. He can write stuff, like "There's a Forest" (from "Harmony Row"), which sounds like modernistic classical art song.
    I could go on and on...
    It'll just be fun for me to see him tonight, sandwiched in between Mariah and Kanye!

5. new_west

new_west

Dec 28, 2005
    San Diego
    Paul Mccarney's been nominated for a couple things too.. Hopefully he'll play something.. maybe 'Fine Line' ?

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Okay, well, Jack was onscreen for approximately one third of a second, but that's better than nothing. I dug it when Sting called Cream "rock's most powerful trio." (Heh, heh, right you are, mate!)

Speaking of Paul, though, did you notice that during his number with Jay-Z and Linkin Park, Jay-Z was wearing a Lennon t-shirt?! Is that cold, or what?:meh:

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dood,

you just made me a fan. :bassist:

honestly, i bet JZ had no idea. he maybe a killin' rapper, and tho he tries, he doesnt know much music outside of anything hiphop related as per his last Conan O'B appearance where i thought, "Good thing he's an emcee". :meh:

8. what?......prince and beyonce doing purple rain/medely wasnt?

:bag:

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    dougjwray, thanks for that info... I really had no idea Jack has such a diverse pallet.