Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jack Bruce

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hi! me again with a new discovery...
    in a recent thread of mine I mentioned how I learned about John Paul Jones...then it made me curious about the whole era...and got me in this new universe in music (for me)...
    the actual rock (pop) music is sooo boring that i had to move back, where rock was more interesting... that way i bumped on The Who, Led Zeppelin and Cream (the most recent).

Ok that might not make sense to you all, because you have heard them all your life...but here in my country there´s no way i could get connection to this music because first, i´m way young for it and second there´s no "oldies Radio" or something like that....so thank you talkbass and it´s members (and napster)...it´s all so new and brilliant to me.

Of course i´m not ripping band´s money with napster...i went to some specialized music shops and got some albums...but i had to hear them first.

So...i had heard something about this Jack Bruce and this band Cream...went to pages, downloaded music, liked it!

I spend all this day with 2 songs:
    -Sunshine of your love
    -Born under a bad sign

and got them right, very cool rock-blues riffs!

i´m planning on getting just the very best of cream cd...just to have something from them on my collection.

Haven´t heard Bruce´s solo albums yet...

what do you think of Jack Bruce as cream member and solo artist?
    Who should be my next "Victim" (another rock bassist from the golde era)?

Have a safe day

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Try some of Sting's basslines from The Police.

Also, if you wanna really rack the brain, try some Chris Squire lines from YES.

Good luck.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Check out West, Bruce, and Laing. If you can find the "Why Doncha" album. Jack Bruce plays some killer bass on that one.
    The Allman Brothers live at the Filmore is another great album. Berry Oakley great bassist.
    Beck, Bogert and Appice. Tim Bogert is another badass bassist.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Jack Bruce is phenominal. But, if you're talking about bassists in that era, it would be impossible to ignore the Ox, John Entwistle.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You REALLY ought to listen to some Jack solo material. The most well-known would be the albums Songs For A Tailor or Harmony Row. While I loved Bruce in Cream, I really dug the hell out of his solo work. He's a bit like Stanley Clarke in the fact that he concentrates on the song above all else. And the West, Bruce and Laing stuff is worth a listen, too.

6. born under a bad sign is great, jack bruce has always been one of my favorites. i have he solo disk "question of time" and i also like that
    for others from this era that i would recommend:

i would look for Mountains greatest hits, Felix Pappalardi played some real sweet lines,
    other bands
    Procol Harem
    Spirit
    Moot the Hoople
    Robin Trower
    Amboy Dukes
    all had excellent bass players.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Thanks, i´m going to listen some more!

ytsebri: Jack Bruce is phenominal. But, if you're talking about bassists in that era, it would be impossible to ignore the Ox, John Entwistle

BTW: The OX was the first one that got me into all this... and watching some of his videos on his page really blew me away!

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Jack Bruce is my main inspiration for playing bass. Try and pick up Cream Live, the extended jams are fantastic. If you can find it, there is a video called Cream of the Cream with Jack on bass, Gary Moore on guitar and Gary Husband on drums, excellent video. I saw Jack live last year with the Ringo all star band and he was great. I'm looking forward to seeing him again on tour this year with Andy Summers and Dennis Chambers.

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    one of my favorite Jack bassline is Badge, that sond is so cool. also grease the weel from one of his solo album is great.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have "The Very Best of Jack Bruce"--a compilation of stuff from his solo albums, and it's got some fabulous songs on it--my favorites are "Never Tell Your Mother She's Out Of Tune" and "Theme from an Imaginary Western." Jack has always been one of my favorites, not just for his bass playing but his incredibly soulful singing and creative songwriting. I think many people assume Eric Clapton was the main force behind Cream but it was Jack who wrote "White Room" "Sunshine of Your Love" "Deserted Cities of the Heart" "N.S.U." and so many others.

11. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I bought Cream's compilation, "Those Were the Days," for twenty something dollars (plus shipping) off of one of the on-line cd stores. I can't remember if it was Columbia House or BMG. This four cd set comes with a booklet and all of their recorded material. If you're going to buy a "best of" cd, you might as well buy this one. It's one of my number one listened to disks.

12. Jack Bruce was the main reason I started playing Bass. Look up Cream Live Vol 2 it has less of the extended jams but the sound & lines he plays are phenominal. Look for Goodbye Cream. I also have a solo album recorded on his 50th birthday called Cities of the Heart it's excellent. As for other players I think you should look to more recent times, Billy Sheen comes to mind but for me Geddy Lee is great and Geezer Butler

Stu

13. rogereeve

rogereeve

Mar 3, 2001
    uk
    As many other replies, I too started to play bass after hearing 'The Black Goose'. I have seen Jack many times and still think he can play the socks off all other bass players. For all you jazz fans,did you know that before Cream Jack played with many a jazz band. I dont know if anything was ever recorded but keep an eye open for his name!
    Have anyone else ever tried to get that sound?
    Dont just buy an EB3 its not the same!!

14. What a sad case that most of the rock bands now are bass-boring. And we have to revert back to the times of "Golden Era" for inspiration!

Well, I am 3 years late on this thread. But I have just recently discovered Jack Bruce as well, I knew about the Sunshine of Your Love song, and many have learned it as their first song.

But recently read an old article, of Billy Sheehan saying that Cream - Crossroads are the tightest a trio can sound! And the song totally blew me off. I am also considering getting some Best of Cream CDs after this.

15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Make sure alomg with most of the above mentioned you check out Jack Cassady with Jefferson Airplane, especially Bless It's Pointed Little Head. It's Live Airplane and Jack's tearing it up. I would also recommend Living Color's 1st 2 albums with Muzz Skillings playing bass. It's later on than you're asking about but I think you might like it a bunch.
    Merry Christmas

16. Don't forget Felix Pappalardi, ex Mountain's bassist and
    co-writer with Jack Bruce.

There is a complete 4 CD Cream package out "Those Were The Days", a must for any Cream orJack Bruce fan :D

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Felix Papallardi played bass on Badge, Jack played piano.

18. My favorite Cream song (lately) is "Deserted Cities of the Heart." I love Bruce's line during the chorus.

I really used to love Bruce- the way he played so raw, but my favorite of that era (above any other) is McCartney.

19. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Try some Brand X its not straight up rock theres a lil jazz happening in it but a brilliant band and a brilliant bassist.

20. yes. jack bruce is my hero...
    all you really need to hear (imo) is live cream vol. 1 and vol. 2. those two cds just blew my mind and changed the way i see bass (yes, this may sound a little strange, but even more than jaco did!)

Charlie