Jack Bruce

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassopotumus, Nov 8, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I want to get Jack Bruce's Cream sound. I know that he used a Gibson SG bass, but I'm having doubts about what he plugged into. I think it was a Marshall, but I'm not sure. He had that awesome driving tone, it almost sounded overdriven, but not really distorted. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. When I saw Jack here in '68 he was playing an EB-3 through two Marshall 100 watt JMP plexi heads (not certain of the model). He had four of the 4x12" cabs; two slant-front and two straight. Awesome driving sound = true!
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I know it's cheating, but I've done pretty well getting (something that I think sounds like) his sound with a Fulltone Bass-Drive.

fwiw, Jack is listed on their website as a user...
  4. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I remember reading somewhere that he played a Fender VI on a lot of disreli gears.

I have used a Tech 21 double drive to get the overdriven sound on Crossroads. Also, can get close with the overdrive channel of my Ampeg B5r.
  5. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The key to the Jack Bruce sound is a MODERATE overdrive.

Right now, I’m listening to YYZ by Rush and Geddy is using SLIGHT distortion. He used a Ric 4001 stereo, maybe one output was distorted and the other clean, maybe it’s crossovered so the highs and mids are distorted and the low end is clean. It’s hart to say because of the slightness.

Jack used a greater degree of distortion, moderate but not too much.

In every pic I have seen of Jack, he’s playing a fretted Gibson EB bass. Yet, on most of the studio recordings, he’s playing a fretless.

It would be interesting to know how Cream recorded in the studio. One of the techniques used by James Jameson was to overload the bass signal into the studio board tube driven preamp to produce a slight and NATURAL distortion.

I stress natural because Geddy, Jack, and James all used/use distortion in their sound. However, their bassmanship fits with songs so well, you are more inclined to think first “what a great song” then “what a great bass line” before you admire the tone
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Use any tube amp with half as many watts as you need. :D