jack bruce

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cheviot, Sep 2, 2000.

1. cheviot

Sep 2, 2000
    does anyone have any idea where i can get a hold of some jack bruce tab. it seems to be a right b*gger to find?
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Jack Bruce tab....:D...Sorry if that amuses me.....I think some of the other "old geezers" here will understand...:)
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Deynn, no kidding! I'm just starting to figure out tab, and I'd like to know how you get timing (especially Jack Bruce timing)off of tabs!!!!! :D
  4. Alienbass

Aug 12, 2000
    If you only know Jack from his cream stuff, you are missing his best playing. IMHO, the stuff he did with Jack Bruce and Friends is by far his tastiest playing.
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm probably a bigger Jack Bruce fan from his solo work than from Cream. I still don't have How's Tricks, but my copies of Songs for a Tailor and Harmony Row are worn pretty thin.
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    "Songs for a Tailor" is some of Jack's best work. That cd is never far from my player. I think I'll listen to "Theme for an Imaginary Western" right now. A great way to start the day....:)
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Jack Bruce has done some fabulous stuff throughout his career. Check out his work with David Torn--their version of "Rope Ladder to the Moon" is beautifully haunting. And Jack definitely holds a place in the pantheon of great songwriters and interpreters.
  8. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  9. HyperkubeTheBassAss

Sep 11, 2000
    Jack is the one guy whose music always makes me smile. I love a lot of other players, but JB was the first player to catch my ear when I was starting in the late '70s. I would sit for hours with the used EB-O my father picked up cheap (wish I still had it!) trying to learn the "Best Of Cream" album. Jack's music still satisfies, and he's never sold out. I love so many of the projects he's done. My favorites are probably the Carla Bley/Mike Mantler albums- some of this music is as far removed from the rock/blues idiom as possible, yet Jack's playing (and singing!) style is immediately recognizable; individual, confident, audacious and always musical and appropriate. Twenty-five years of listening to the man has'nt dimmed my appreciation. If I could have had anyone's career, it would be Jack's. I'm sitting here listening to the "Cities Of The Heart" 50th birthday CD, and I'm impressed by the quality of the material, the level of players he can muster, and the respect he receives and deserves. Also, I've always been impressed by Jack's spoken introduction on the "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" tapes. His words radiate a warm respect and friendship for Jamerson. The warmth comes through in person as well, as I discovered upon meeting Jack once after a show. The man is a class act as well as a true survivor with a true love of music. People who have only heard Cream have no idea of the real scope of this man's talent.

I'm new here. I'm a 37 y/o electric and acoustic player of jazz/blues/rock/classical/experimental
    music, from the New York City area. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Cheers H-Kube
  10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Welcome H-Kube.....and I couldn't agree with you more about Jack. He made an impression on me over 30 years ago...and still does today. :)
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Two words: White Room.

I think that about says it all. :)
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    It says it all for me...:)
  13. rymiraflores

Jan 17, 2009
    Lima Peru
    I think that his best work ever was with WEST BRUCE AND LAING.Bruce at his very best.
  14. richielein

Oct 20, 2009
    Does anyone know the guitar tuning Jack used for Rope Ladder To The Moon? I've watched a video of him playing it and he is fretting the D string at the second fret and the rest of the strings are open, so the A string must be tuned to a B or an E. Anybody know?
  15. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Recently picked up Spirit- Live @ The BBC. 3 CDs of live Jack greatness! One of my early influences.