1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Casady 1966; revolutionizing the bass guitar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I thought it would be cool to do some isolating to showcase Jack on one of my favorite Airplane tunes, Let Me In, from 1966. Listen to that monster tone!
    jack casady - let me in - YouTube
    ENJOY!

2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Very nice!

3. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Mmmm. Good stuff.

4. Jack was a huge influence on my playing.
    I saw him in 1967 or could have been '68(hey, it was the '60's, we're not suppose to remember details). Jefferson Airplane were touring in support of their album, After Bathing at Baxters.
    I am pretty sure he was using that Jazz. I was standing no more than 10 feet away and he isn't that big of a guy and it looked huge on him. Hard to believe they played free, in the park. No stage, just set up on the grass. At the time, being a wet behind the ears guitarist, his playing was way beyond my comprehension. Grace Slick, young, hot and vocally on top of her game, walked up, busting out of a Girl Scout uniform two sizes too small and sang incredibly. I was instantly an Airplane fan for life.
    And, the opening act was Fanny, the first all girl group that predated the Runaways. No one today would blink an eye at such a thing but at the time it was unusual, fascinating and quite an oddity. By the way they could play fairly well, which tee'd me off at the time. I guess I didn't like the idea of a girl being able to play better than me. Of course, that was the world before Tal and Esperanza, Batten and Ford

5. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Aww man, wish I could have been there! Baxter's and Crown of Creation are two of my favorite albums of all time. There's never been a band like them since.
    I've seen Jack Casady twice in concert the last few years and got to shake his hand at one of the shows. Definitely not a very tall guy. Now he plays that big Epiphone hollowbody, so it makes him look even smaller... but his tone and his skills are HUGE! :D

6. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    his tone on that reminds me of Entwhistle's on "live at Leeds",but his attack is not quite as furious. really cool!

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Unusual to hear Jack playing with a pic. He used fingers and pic in earlier days, but it was his finger work (check Volunteers & Bark) that grabbed me. I, too, saw/met him in '68. He isn't a very big guy - but has always carried a very big bass ;)

8. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I think in those early days he used the pick as more of a tool, in the sense that he used it on some songs and not on others -- whenever it was "right" I suppose