1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jack Casady Aguilar Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yggdrasil, May 4, 2006.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I was reading a Hot Tuna booklet today with a paragraph that says, essentially, that Dave Boonshoft is developing a Jack Casady model amplifier.

Interestingly, Jack's amp setup for Electric Hot Tuna is listed as comprising a DB 680, a DB 728, a Bass Pod XT Pro and of course the old Versatone.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This might be interesting...

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    wow, really? Cool.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    sounds cool. looking fwd to that.

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh geez. Right when I think I'm safe.

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    It'll probably retail for five Gs!!!:eek:

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd be interested to hear anything about this directly from the source...

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Calling Aguilar Dave, calling Aguilar Dave!!!!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Is Jack Done with SWR ? I know my Jack Casady bass hasent sounded better since I got my Aguilar Combo.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Jack still uses a SWR Baby Blue II in Hot Tuna Acoustic.
    He hasn't used an IOD for a long time, altho, AFAIK, he was instrumental in its development.

I'd be very interested to hear from Aguilar as well.

Something along the lines of an AG 500 dual channel with more tube components would seem to be a possible direction, but I don't like to speculate.

I love my db359/GS-112 combination.
    I was about to pull the trigger on a 500 dual channel, when I read that paragraph in the Hot Tuna booklet.
    Decided to wait for more info.

11. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification

Hmmm.....well, Jack is using a DB 680/728 and a GS 410 when Hot Tuna does their electric set. Jorma and Jack both use DB 900 direct boxes, too...But he feels that the 680/729/410 rig is too big for their acoustic set. So...we've gotten together and prototyped some cabinets. We're trying to get a small cabinet that keeps all of his finger-style nuance, blends well, and still can create some low end excitement. This would be a cabinet that I would like to think would work well for upright players also. However, I would say we're only about 50% into it, so please don't delay buying some other Aguilar product!:) As far as a new head is concerned.....we have stuff in the works; but nothing due out in the near future.

BTW, Jack is not only an amazing player, he's an all-around great guy!

12. i haven't really listened to much of what jack cassady has done in either jefferson airplane or hot tuna. but even more impressive than his long career in playing is the fact that he is still extremely influential and inspiring cool products on a gear level. i have a lot of respect for that.

robb.

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo

Not to worry Dave - I'm now the owner of an AG500 in addition to a DB359 and two GS-112s. You can make that payment on your sailboat now! :cool:

And yes, Jack is all that and more...

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I have an original vinyl "After Bathing at Baxters" from my Uncle & have loved JC for over 30yrs after listening to his craziness on that epic...

~S~

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    Dave, any updates on a possible Casadt influenced product?

16. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    We were trying to have the Casady speaker cabinet by NAMM; but it just got too crazy. We are still testing prototypes. Its been very interesting working with Jack. He's all about articulation. But...it can't have a lot of mids either because his bass resonates... a lot.
    To much mids makes it real cloudy and wolfy. We're trying to get it just ballsy enough, clear enough, punchy enough that it will sound balanced and musical. Hopefully it will be a cabinet that will translate well for all acoustic bassists, uprite and otherwise.

Dave B.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't suppose you need any Double Bass beta testers....

18. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    So thata speaker, what about an amp? I know I'm pushing it here...

19. Now, find his old vinyl copy of "Crown of Creation" and check out the Jack's lines on that one as well!

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Oddio,

Thanks for the tip, will do!

cheers,
    ~S~