1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Casady Bass Access Panel Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billoney, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    I'm thinking of getting an access panel cut in my Casady bass so I can do some of my own repairs. Would a guitar tech be competent to do this or would this be a job for a luthier? What might be the down side? I'm not concerned with resale value because it's a (good quality) factory second and one of the older ones. Thanks in advance.

2. I would think a luthier. Most techs don't go cutting into acoustic instruments.
    Hope such a mod doesn't affect the tone too much.

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Could you use the part cut out as the access cover?

4. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks. I hadn't considered that. I like the tone and am not about to sacrifice it.

5. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    That's what I'm hoping for.

MrRubi04 and Mark76 like this.
  6. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    What repairs do you want to make that would require an access panel?
    You have access to the pickup.
    You have access to the control pots and output jack through the F hole.
    That is how they installed those items after the body was complete.
    If you don't know how to get at them.. ask a luthier, it will be cheaper than asking one to cut a semi-hollow body and fabricate an access panel

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    Mainly the output jack. I lack the tools and dexterity to work through the F hole. If I ever get another hollowbody it'll be a Lakland. I like the tone, but mainly for the access panel. Thanks for your feedback.

8. Basvarken

Basvarken Commercial User

Dec 3, 2010
    Velp Rockcity
    Luthier / Gibson Bass Book
    There's a few tricks that make re-installing a jack output easy. You really don't need to cut any holes.
    Use a wire to guide the output jack to the hole.
    Here's a video that I found

Tbone76, tzohn, packhowitzer and 3 others like this.
  9. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a local store with a great tech. He's far better than I am at this stuffand worth the money. I have two custom built semi hollows with access panels with great acoustics, but they were designed from the beginning to have panels.

Actually, this is response is totally unhelpful. My bad.
    Never mind me.

10. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks for the info.

11. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks anyway.

Old Blastard likes this.
  12. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Sometimes it seems so important to say something but nothing comes out. Had the tech replace the Casady jack with a Switchcraft because the stock jack sucked.

Damn, did it again.

13. Billoney

Billoney

Feb 12, 2014
    I thought that was my shtick!

Old Blastard likes this.
  14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Pay for the repairs as needed— cheaper than a mod.

RedVee, Old Blastard and Billoney like this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    To answer this question, cutting an access hole and adding its attendant cover will not affect the tone of the JC bass. It is a semi-hollow bass with a solid center block running down the middle length of it. If you want the access, cut with confidence regarding tone.

bholder and Billoney like this.
  16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not a bad idea, all it would take is some very careful drill and jigsaw work. Would make one of my projects that I need to get back to substantially easier.

17. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    There have been semi-hollow bodied basses/guitars for 50 years that have had successful repairs/replacement parts installed without the need to use a jigsaw on back of the body.
    If the work is beyond the ability of the owner of the instrument, then asking another person to step in and do the work is the right idea.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sure, not disagreeing with that either, I have the tools for doing the work without cutting. But the idea of designing and building a semi with a well integrated access panel is still interesting.

Billoney and Jeff Scott like this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    My old 4005WB is a true hollowbody bass (no center block, just an X brace); it has an access hole hidden behind the pickguard, an excellent idea, IME.

RobTheRiot and Billoney like this.
  20. I would refer all repairs to a tech.

I just had my Jackbass repaired: New output jack, tighten volume and tone pots, complete set up and a new set of strings. $165.00 tax included.

For $165.00, it's like brand new. This is the first money I put into this bass in 16 years.

It's so worth it to have someone who really knows what they're doing repair something for you.

Mike