jack casady bass OR fender p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 16, 2004.

1. i play in a blues/rock band sound like stevie ray vuaghan and led zeppelin, mostly srv though. i want a real bassy tone and i need to be able to cut through the mix, my band is very loud so it has to be able to cut through!! i have herd some things about the jack casady bass that is perfect in tone but dosnt always cut through the mix, but a p bass will always cut through. is this just a myth or is this true that the jack casady bass dosnt cut through very well? i absolutly love the looks of the jack bass, but sound is the most important to me!
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My preference is the P-bass. Cuts through very well and is the sound of blues (to me).

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My Jack bass always cuts through, it has to be one of the best semi hollow bass i have played. I kind of this thing for semi hollows and with the right amp the Jack will sing like a bird.
  4. for blues/rock there is no better than an old Pbass with Flat wounds. i have a orig. 73 pbass with d'addario chromes on it and i am in pbass heaven. what amp/cab are you using ?
  5. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I owned both. I ended up getting rid of the Jack Cassidy because I'm pretty picky about my setup. I exclusively use the precision. It has individual string saddles versus the Jack Cassidy's 3 point bridge. If the bridge was easier to setup, I would have kept it. Either way, both basses will work perfect for your situation. Both of them have a sweet tone and both can cut through the mix. The Jack is a little bit more of a "woodier" tone. Also, keep in mind that the Jack is semi-hollow and a little bit more fragile than the precision. One big hit or drop can do some serious damage to the Jack, while the precision can take a bigger beating.
  6. That's true i've fought my way out of bar room brawls with my 73 p bass with minimal damage. i don't bring it to those clubs any more. i bought a cheap pbass copy for rough bar gigs.
  7. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like drd07, I have owned both, and still own the P... The Casady is an excellent bass that will do exactly what you're looking for. Mine was a workhorse, always sounded great, looked fantastic, and I never had any worries about it being too fragile... I found it to be a bit less versatile than the P, as well as a bit uncomfortable from time to time, but that doesn't deter from the fact that it's a great bass. I would buy another in a flash...

8. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Can anybody make some comparisons between the neck thickness on a Casady vs. a Pbass? Is the Casady thinner like a Jazz or (even better) a Ric?
  9. If I remember correctly, the P-bass and the Jackbass both have a fretboard that's 1.625" wide at the nut. The difference being that the Casady has a VERY flat profile unlike the curved board of a Precision.

Those Casadys have such nice tone; perfect for the Blues. Is there anyway you can afford both? :)

10. Let's see...you play SRV and Zeppelin. Tommy Shannon used a J-Bass for most of his work with Stevie although he used a Precision a fair amount, too. John Paul Jones used a J-Bass with Zeppelin. I don't think I've ever heard of either using a semi-hollow. Personally, I have a Reverend Rumblefish (semi-hollow), a Hamer 2-TEK CruiseBass (J-Bass style), a fretless Jazz and a P-Bass clone (I have owned numerous P-Basses over the years). In other words, I have 2 J's, a semi-hollow and a P-Bass. I think you'll find what you're looking for in the P-Bass. The Casady is a nice bass, no doubt about it, but it is not an essential instrument...the P-Bass is.
  11. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    P-bass plus Rotosound strings plus SVT Classic and an 8-10 and we have a winner. The jack is a sweet ax but got to go for the P. After all those bar jams can get,well, sticky. :smug:
    Keeping the Funk Alive in P-town for another Hundred Years....
  12. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I'll second that except change the roto's for cromes and the 8x10 for an 18. :hyper:
  13. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    P bass. There's a reason they are on so many records. It'll just give you more versatility for other gigs as well.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I have owned both the Casady and a P-bass.
    The Casady has a great sound, but it's construction
    or durability is suspect.
    The P-bass with flats is my fav blues sound.
    If you want a hollow-body sound the Lakland Skyline
    Hollowbody Bass is better made, and sounds better than the Casady.
  15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The Lakland Skyline Hollowbody is another option.
    It has a fully carved body. Not semi hollow like the Jack.

It has the Lakland bridge which means it's fully adjustable.

Dual pickups with pickup selector switch, volume volume tone tone and a coil tap to switch the pickups from humbucker to single coil.

And pretty too

Check it out.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the Jack bass is as solid as a rock.
  17. SteveMoodie

Oct 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I know it's an old post but thought I'd add to it for anyone scouring TB to find more info.

I have an SX modded P-bass (SPB-1 pickup) and the Casady (also a Fender Jazz). Both wear Chromes. With the Casady's impedance switch set to 50, I find that the tone is very, very similar. With a slight woodier sound from the Casady. The Casady feels very nice to play (once you get used to the edge on your arm) and has become my main bass. People are skeptical when they see the Epiphone name on it but then they always are amazed at how good it sounds.
    I recorded in a studio recently where the engineer was laughing at me for bringing in my Casady instead of my Fender Jazz or modded precision. He completely changed his mind at the end of the session and wanted to buy one for his studio. He couldn't believe how good it sounded and how well it sat in a mix.

Anyway, just some more thoughts. Either a P or a Casady would be good. Keep in mind that the Casady sounds very much like a Precision.
  18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    Owned both and i way rather have a P bass as my only bass, the jacks are cool but yeah not a P bass not as robust.