1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JACK CASADY BASS PLAYERS CLUB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Apr 27, 2019.

1. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nice!. Seems that is the only color so elusive.

2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton

A true hollow body would be like an acoustic guitar. These are not. The beams running from neck to tail on the front and back are much more substantial than mere stiffening ribs on an acoustic guitar.

The block at the bridge also bonds the front beam to the rear beam, IOW, it does more than just provide an anchor point for the bridge.

It is a semi-hollow. No other way to look at it.

bholder and PillO like this.
  3. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    Mostly-hollow?

96tbird, bholder and PillO like this.
  4. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    NFS

Not fully solid.

96tbird and PillO like this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It is a curious mix, and more complicated than most semis - the top is mostly free, and built like an archtop, an argument for "more hollow", but is anchored by the bridge block. That bridge block sits on a solid multi-ply hard "spine" that runs along the back of the bass from the bridge block to the neck, making an extremely rigid connection between the top (at the bridge only) and the neck - an argument for "more solid". IMHO, it's this unusual combination of solid and hollow body characteristics that make this design really "sing". And that's not just from my JCs, either, I now have a '73 Gibson Les Paul Signature bass, just like the one Jack discovered sitting used and unloved in a NYC shop. It has the exact same physical design, but the JCs have upgraded (and much improved) electronics to Jack's spec. But whoever designed this bass originally at Gibson was on to something, but nobody paid much attention until Jack's discovery.

RedVee, 96tbird, McG and 3 others like this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The types of wood guitar designs with an example are:
    • Hollow- Acoustic guitars
    • Semi-Hollow- Epiphone Jack Casady
    • Chambered- Rickenbacker 330
    • Solid- Precision Bass

RedVee and bholder like this.
  7. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    As the conversation references though, not a trad. Semi-Hollow, (eg. ES-335,) but more hollow.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    And yet still solid as a rock... ...kinda got that duality thing going, like an electron. :cool::smug:

9. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Comparing a solid beam tip to tail to two separate front & rear beams, sure, it's hollow-er. :smug: (or less semi-hollow?)

The ES335 was trying to favor or lean towards the timbre of a solid body, where-as the Jack Casady was not.

But with modern engineered wood and construction tecniques, perhaps the JC is quite similar to the ES335 in body resistance to resonances and feedback. The JC has mechanical coupling to the front and rear beams via the bridge block and that may be all that's needed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    RedVee and PillO like this.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

@DWLANG I was actually looking for the blue Warwick Rockbass Starbass when I stumbled upon pics of the JC and was gob smacked. I googled it and Musicians Friend had them. January 2017.

I’d love to get my hands on a pelham Midtown signature.

PillO, DWLANG and RedVee like this.
  11. Hi JCB clubbers. Just for fun, what (in your opinion) is the best color strap for a gold top JCB...?

I'm thinking vintage-style narrow tan...

VS20-TAN-370x370.

javi_bassist, McG, PillO and 2 others like this.
  12. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Got one! I’d like the Standard in PB
    B122DD3C-C322-43A9-9097-3BE5FA5F0D21.

tzohn and PillO like this.
  13. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    And yet I keep coming back to my JCB and Midtown...

PillO and Border like this.
  14. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Hey DWLANG, those are some great pictures of your gorgeous new bass. I just got one and am just getting to know her. I literally just got her back from the shop today!
    I am happy that I put flats on my JC, the more I play her, the better I like them. I put EB Cobalt flats on, and these are the first flats I have ever used. Very happy so far.

Attached Files:

javi_bassist, PillO and DWLANG like this.
  15. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    AA69D777-A302-47C2-B241-822702C01CB1. Today’s noise maker.

javi_bassist, RedVee, McG and 2 others like this.
  16. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    After a brief affair with the ES-335, I'm back to my Alpine White JCB as my #1...to me it just sounds and feels better. The Midtown Signature is a close #2

17. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Saw this coming as soon as you dropped the JC from number one . Tone wise no Gibson comes close to the JC Epi's . Even the one Epi copied for the JC models . Gibsons sound good . But the JC's just kill .

RedVee, Michael Jewels and McG like this.
  18. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    You ever want to sell that blue JCB, hit me up...

PillO likes this.
  19. Jack Casady bass annoyances: 1. pickup adjustment screws always come loose. 2. Neck constantly needs adjustment. Do you fine folks here have these same problems? Also, not happy with the Rotos I strung it with. Any string recommendations?

McG and PillO like this.
  20. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Haven't adjusted the neck in five years, the pickup has been good to go that long too. I put Sadowsky Black label flats on them, which aren't made any more. Phat low round tone. Love my JC

McG, lowendrv, MrBassman17 and 3 others like this.