1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JACK CASADY BASS PLAYERS CLUB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I took off that numerical escutcheon as well. Also removed the white pickguard, considered having a black one made, but it looks so cool sans-pickguard.

Something about the Dean Markley Blue Steels, the company was streamlined or something and those strings were reformulated or changed to something else or someone who left took that formulae with them. Anyway, those stock strings are not available anymore from what I read. Correct me if I am wrong.

PillO likes this.
  2. I vaguely remember that another company bought DM and rationalized all the product lines (the Helix strings which I quite liked disappeared). I can't remember who it was but I think it was in the last few (up to 5) years. I think that all that remains is a small marketing staff. If I had access to a Bloomberg terminal I would come up with the whole story...

3. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I've used my JCB excursively for weekly gigs or rehearsals for a year and a half.

Never needed to adjust the neck after the initial set up. But here in Southern California we don't have humidity issues or drastic seasonal changes. Plus the bass lives in the Epi hard case.

I'd never heard about a pick up screw loosening problem but it happened to me at a gig last month. Last song of a four setter I looked down and the top screw on the bridge side was half way out. Others were fine. Just screwed it back down and it hasn't happened since. It's the only issue I've had with this bass.

I tried several strings and settled on GHS Brite Flats. They sound great with the impedance switch on 500. I really love those strings.

javi_bassist and PillO like this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I believe the new entity is Apex Strings.

PillO likes this.
  6. I like the JCB, but my RICKENBACKER 4003S comes with me to the grave. . . .

PillO likes this.
  7. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Glenn, are you having issues with the functionality with the threads? I notice you are posting a lot of quoted replies with no comment from you in the field.

You can do both as one post, hit reply to the post from someone else you are referencing, and enter your own comments below in that same window.

PillO likes this.
  8. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    I tried 5 different string sets and found, FOR ME, that the TI's flats are perfect for a traditional 60's sound with a little more clarity and extension. And no problems whatsoever, mine is at least 5 years old. Your mileage may vary!

MoeTown1986 and PillO like this.
  9. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    I took the black pickguard off my Alpine White JCB, and it looked just a bit too bare, so I put it back on. I think it looks better in gold, black, and red (and assuming blue?) with the pickguard off...but that's all personal taste

Stugilliam, PillO and Jughead6 like this.
  10. The gold speed knobs are a pet peeve of mine. They didn't look right on my gold JCB, so I replaced them with Gibson style reflector bell knobs.

PillO and DWLANG like this.
  11. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    I have had to adjust my neck once in the two years I have now owned it. Not so different than any other bass I have owned, (assuming we are talking truss rod tweaks). I'm running LaBella low tension flats and have nothing bad to say, was thinking last night at rehearsal how they are really starting to come into their own on this bass.

ETA: Maybe a little lock-tite blue on the pickup screws.

PillO likes this.
  12. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Pix?

PillO likes this.
  13. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Anybody have a blue JCB they’ll sell to me?

Stugilliam and PillO like this.
  14. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Still my #1

CEF66F8C-B47B-42C0-9833-2A0B8E616781. F07F1B86-6385-4228-BD2A-83323B5CC805.

bholder, javi_bassist, tzohn and 3 others like this.
  15. I'm afraid you'll have to use your imagination for a few days. My JCB is currently naked and awaiting installation of a Hipshot Supertone bridge and Ultralite tuners! I hope to have it all done next week.

tzohn, McG, DWLANG and 1 other person like this.
  16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Mine too! :cool:

69682317_2903866366295741_8157017487884419072_n.

^ See above. :)

(You'll LOVE the Hipshot stuff! Solid, very adjustable bridge and the Ultralites eliminated the neck dive. :thumbsup:)

bholder, javi_bassist, RedVee and 3 others like this.
  17. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    Hey DWLANG, quit your begging, I know your love of our beloved country and that huge urge to have a Red, White and Blue JCB's, but quite groveling!! It will come if it is meant to be brother!

DWLANG and PillO like this.
  18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    would that be france?

PillO and Stugilliam like this.
  19. I've said it before... there are only two kinds of people, those that live in Australia and those that want to...:D
    download.

RedVee, McG, Stugilliam and 1 other person like this.
  20. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    Australia's great!

2560px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.

RedVee and Jughead6 like this.