JACK CASADY BASS PLAYERS CLUB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Sorado71

Sorado71 Sunn since 1971! Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Louis, Mo.
    I just brought one home (a Road Ready bag). It's a very nice gig bag, but zipping around the lower bout isn't as easy as I'd like. Anyone have experience with this affecting the finish? PS - Thanks, Johnny Bottom, for the tip on preventing the strap pin from hurting the padding.

JohnnyBottom and PillO like this.
  2. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    They have started coming back into stock at some of the online UK dealers over the last couple of weeks and mine has just arrived. :hyper:

C7C2BAE8-97D9-4EB5-A7C7-B1311207FFDC.jpeg

RedVee, Tooned, tomZbass and 10 others like this.
  3. Man, I love my gold Epi, but that blue finish... really sexy

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    What a pretty pair of blue basses!

PillO, SDC1-ClickClack and OllyW like this.
  5. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    Good news! Glad you got the one you wanted.

OllyW and PillO like this.
  6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm coming back to the club! Found a used ebony Jack Casady on the Guitar Center used site, and it's shipping to my local store.

Now I have to find a decent set of nylon tapewound strings for it. I used LaBella's on my old JCB, but I haven't been hearing such great things about those recently. Is anyone else using nylon tapewounds on their JCB, and if so, which ones do you like?

7. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I’ve got the D’Addario black nylon tapewounds on mine—just put them on a couple of weeks ago in fact. They’re lovely under the hands: firm not flabby and with a distinct pitch centre to them. They’re not overly warm/fat sounding like, say, La Bella DTFs, but closer to the focus of good polymer-core upright strings. I haven’t played the bass with other humans (COVID and all that) but so far so good. I’d been so used to having Blue Steels on that bass that the new tone is taking some getting used to. Must record a bit and see how it sounds there.

ShoeManiac, Sorado71 and PillO like this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I basically think this is part of what makes the JC such a "Jack of All Trades" bass - it'll sound wonderful with whatever kind of strings suit each individual's personal tastes the best. Just get your favorite sets of string of any type and slap 'em on and prove me wrong! hehe. The JC circuit always seems to find the "sweet spot" getting the best out of the strings. imho. I gush and ramble, sorry. :D

9. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Always had roto 88s on mine since I bought it . Love em

tomZbass and PillO like this.
  10. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    For me, in a period of a year I tried six different sets of strings on my JC and they all sounded good but not what I was hearing in my head. Number 6 sounded exactly what I was looking for and they turned out to be TI flats! That's my story and I am sticking to it, and the same set still sounds great some 7,8 or 9 years later! Your mileage may differ.

tomZbass, Sorado71, jmlee and 4 others like this.
  11. Sorado71

Sorado71 Sunn since 1971! Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Louis, Mo.
    I have Jazz Flats on two of mine, plus my Gibson RD Artist. They're great!

12. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    When my D'Addario EXL 170BT's wear out I've got some Jazz Flats waiting . Problem is they have been on for four years and growl like all get out now .

tomZbass, jmlee, PillO and 1 other person like this.
  13. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    are you trying to talk me into a blue Rick? Good looking bass!

OllyW and PillO like this.
  14. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    You've asked people for favorite tapes and we're all just going on about our favorite strings. Here goes, I use a D'Addario ENR72 half wound. Played them hard for a year straight (we all convinced our wires and husbands that music was more important than Covid.....we're all very close and our kids got to school together). Now that they've fallen apart they are like my own personal fuzz pedal which is annoying and awesome at he same time. Put a new set on my new Faded Pelham Blue........the difference is really......different. I'm sticking with it.

PillO likes this.
  15. ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks! Your post is another that has pointed me in the direction of D’Addario’s. And given the fact that I had a pretty good experience using D’Addario Chromes for a while on my P Bass, I’m inclined to try their tapewounds on the Casady.

Side note about Blue Steels - I know you mentioned them, and Jack has been using them on his instruments. But they seem to have become really difficult to get. What’s up with that???

PillO likes this.
  16. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    There’s been some chatter on TB about that. Dean Markley kind of went to pieces. I’ve given up on them and DR Pure Blues are my new go-to round. :meh:

PillO, ShoeManiac and cdef like this.
  17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Must say, if I may, that I never could verify the buzz about Dean Markley Blue Steels, and I actually paid for two sets. They were "cryogenic", supposedly - steel cured at extremely low temperature. For me at least, they were very top-endy and clangy, and didn't last beyond a couple of gigs. Then they went dead. Did Jack have some kind of an endorsement deal? Who knows.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    PillO, SDC1-ClickClack and tzohn like this.
  18. ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    DR has been the way I decided to go in light of the situation with Dean Markley. I always felt like their Hi Beams were the closest equivalent that I was able to find to Blue Steels. I like their Fat Beams, too. I even just put a set of their Legends flats on my P-Bass.

PillO likes this.
  19. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    I found the same as you did and was so disappointed that I stopped using Markley's altogether. I am not saying that they don't make other good strings, they are just not what I was looking for.

PillO, SDC1-ClickClack and cdef like this.
  20. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    I enjoy the Legend flats for a more lively flat and either LaBellas or TI flats for the more traditional flat sound.
    This is just my opinion, the key to good sounding flats is, leaving them on for ten or more years!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021