Jack Casady Bass Thumb Rest?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by makimomo, Nov 27, 2021.

1. makimomo

makimomo

Sep 2, 2021
    Kinda interested in this bass! I play anchored on either pickup, and the pickup on the JC looks pretty low.. Is it possible to play it anchored, or should i look into a thumb rest?

Also, how’s the neck? Chunkier than a P?

2. The neck is about the same width across the nut as a Precision bass, but much flatter.

It takes a little getting used to, at least it did for me.

As for a thumb rest; I would suggest buying the bass and playing it for a while until you think you really want a thumb rest.

I've had mine 20 years and still love it.
    Good luck.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    makimomo likes this.
  3. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Never owned a JC but I love thumb rests. I am putting one on a semi hollow Ibanez soon. Not an issue because of the solid core. I will soon put one on an Epiphone Viola. This one will require a piece of wood under the rest because it is totally hollow. Still not a big deal, just drill smaller holes and remove a pickup. Ilike my thumb rests about a string width from the E string.

makimomo and Michael Jewels like this.
  4. makimomo

makimomo

Sep 2, 2021
    Thanks for the info! Another question I have is if it’s really uncomfortable to play. I’ve seen some people on here complain about the body size. What do you think?

5. makimomo

makimomo

Sep 2, 2021
    Me as well. The pickup seems to be in a good spot for it, so if it’s too flat i’ll probably look into getting one put in/using double sided tape.

David76112 likes this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I just bought some 3M double sided foam tape to install a thumbrest. I usually use the foam tape and it holds very well for me but I ran out and tried regular "permanent" double sided tape but it soon let loose.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022