Jack Casady Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pickslide, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    :confused: Went to a former bandmates practice last night to hear how they sound. The bassist brought out a Jack Casady bass for a few of the songs. After practice was finished, I got to talking to him & was given the opportunity to audition the Casady bass. What a nice instrument. Tone was great, playability fantastic, UNTIL I put a strap on & played it standing up. HOLY MACKEREL, what a neck diver. I'd just take my left hand off the neck & the head would immediately make for the ground.

I'd consider getting one of these, except for the neck diving issue. Short of using an acoustic guitar style strap that has the leather "string" that goes around the head, is there anything that can be done to eliminate the neck diving?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    you could move the strap button like people do on the T birds

heres the link

if you dont want to move that strap button, you could probably move the one near the bridge aswell.
  3. Bassology

Bassology Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    My first post, so guys please be kind.......lol

I used to own a Jack Casady bass, and I know its tendency to neck dive can really be troublesome. Personally, I didn't have too much problem with it, since I always had my right elbow resting on the body, that balanced the bass for me. But, this only works if you place your bass above your waist. Perhaps, changing to lighter tuners would help. As you can tell the original tuners are those cheap, massive ones.

PS. Go get a wider strap as well, they usually have better grip.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A thick strap would probably help it certainly did with mine.
  5. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i saw keith urban a couple of nights ago and his bass player played one for a few songs. i guess thats why he only played it sitting down.
  6. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I swapped the tuners on mine for Hipshot Ultralights and used a wide neoprene strap - no more neck dive. Any one who owns a JC would be wise to make this modification.
  7. mahamantra

Nov 19, 2004
    +1. I had the neck shaved down to 60's Gibson specs, Put on the Ultralights and now it balances fine. It's my favorite bass Ever! Thomastic flats and Euphonic 500. Listeners are generally smiling and speechless. Do not underestimate this bass! It really may end your search.;) :bassist: ;)

What do you think about the Bridge?
  9. mahamantra

Nov 19, 2004
    The bridge is not very adjustable, but frankly mine intonates on my Peterson strobe so..... obviously glue down the posts cuz they are probably already tilting forwards. The pickup is also fab.:)
  10. Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Larch, which Hipshot's did you use? Checked their website, but could not find anything listed as a replacement for Gibson tuners.

Yeah when mine started comming out in the back i had to cement them in , that pick up is one of the sweetest i have played.
  12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Epiphone should ditch that crappy three point bridge .
  13. mahamantra

Nov 19, 2004
    I thought about switching out the pickup for a Dark Star, but decided against it after a very careful listen. The Dark Star is really cool, but the Jack's low impedence pickup is a super fine sounding pickup. Warm and fat.;)
  14. I have some major GAS for a black Casady bass. But the Dutch distributor told me it won't be available until may/june after a new production run has been made.. :(

Do you guys think it's worth the wait? Or should I just buy another Fender Jazz?