Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jack Casady bridge pulling out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    So, the rear post on the estring side of my newly aquired, but used Casady is pulling out...what's the repair procedure here? Is this something I can do, or must I find an epiphone service center near me?

Thanks, Alan

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes that does happen , happen to mine. I used a cement compound to keep them down in the body and it worked.

3. Go to their web site.

As long as you are the original owner and you filled out the registration you have a lifetime warranty for manufactures defects. Right on the registration form is a link for authorized dealers.

If you got it used, talk to one of the dealers and see if it is a common problem, Find out how much the repair will cost.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Chunky: sorry forgot to note I bought used. I have emailed info from thier website. Thanks!

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bump for more info...

MM, what kinda glue didya use?

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    It happened to mine too. It turned out to be too diffiicult to get it back to the factory for a warranty repair, so I just glued it with an epoxy. It won't be coming out any time soon!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I forget the name of it but it came in a long stick and you had to join the 2 diffrent cements together and roll it and mix it up into one.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That there would be your two stage epoxy with your glue element and your catalyst element.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    From Todd Money at Gibson repair:

If it's loose enough to pull out by hand, there are two choices: plug the hole and re-drill; or take some real porous paper (legal pad, restaurant napkin) and saturate it with glue, and line the hole with it to in effect make it smaller. Try and push it into the indenets with a toothpick or something. Remember, you don't need to add much. We use super glue gel, but tite-bond is good as well. Neither will hurt the finish of the instrument. Neither will bond wood to metal, so you're just trying to create enough of a friction fit for it not to pull out. It's not rocket science, and you'll be fine attempting this on your own. The lone caveat is: don't try to make the fit too tight, and don't hammer the bush home too hard. While not a delicate instrument, it does have it's limits."

OK;
    So, I pulled strings and bridge, and the one offending bush. While it pulled out easy enough, to tap it all the way back in did require some slight force. I figure there's not really room for .010 worth of paper all the way around. So, I filled the knurls with wood glue, and tapped back in. The other to pried out easily enough, so I glued them back in as well. The threaded knurls are open in the bottom, so I did not put glue in the bottom of the holes. Plenty of glue squeezed out while I was tapping them back in though Hopefully this will secure my bridge for some years to come. I'll report back if there are further problems