1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Casady - Diana 3 Acoustic Bass advancement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnnyBottom, Oct 27, 2018.

1. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Pretty cool....

More pics in this post

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Nunovsky, Mustang Surly and MCF like this.
  2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Absolutely gorgeous, but certainly "a bit" out of most folks price range.

Still, it's exciting to see someone working to improve ABG technology!

Two thumbs up!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    JohnnyBottom likes this.
  3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Beautiful bass.
    Awful demo.

two fingers likes this.
  4. I was fortunate to play a Ribbecke at Gruhn's in Nashville some years ago, and they are stunning, both in tone and above-Top-Shelf-construction. It really is an acoustic bass guitar. Not cheap, but for the relative few that can afford them, it's a no-brainer: Nothing else is even in the same zip code. I wish Tom were of a mind to find a careful builder in Japan (Kazuo Yairi would come to mind first) that could build faithful less expensive, licensed versions to get this technology out to more players.

5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I briefly owned a Ribbecke bass. I returned it because it was too big and uncomfortable for me to play; the builder insisted it be used only with bronze phosphor strings, which I can't stand; the builder also urged me to have the bass set up only by a guy in Marin County who charges hundreds of dollars per setup; and finally, the build quality was so pristine I was afraid to play it for fear of causing damage. Quickly parted ways with that one!

I'm much happier with a Taylor AB-1, which includes the mandatory Manzer wedge style body to ease playability.

If you have the money for a nice bass, be sure to try it first if you can because a high price tag is no guarantee the bass will be right for you!

6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    +1 and more to this. I've used Epiphone El Capitans and original Eko BA4s, and at present am quite content with the bottom-rung Dean ABGs, size notwithstanding.

A big-bodied Dean with the sustain and resonance of the Eko . . . now THAT would be something!