Jack Casady is one year old.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 9, 2002.

1. It's either today or tomorrow, but, it's been a year since my Epiphone Jack Casady bass has been delivered. I know of a few, but, now would be a good time to review the membership in the "Jacksters" club. Who else owns one? Who would like to know how good they sound? (he-he:D
    gives me a chance to write a 5,000 word review.

It's been a year, and I'm still in love.

Mike J.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's a good 'un, Mikey. I've still got mine and gigged it just the other night. Tone to the bone. Jacksters unite.
  3. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The only bass I own is still on the bottle. Go ahead, write the review!
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Still got mine, MJ. She'd been sittin' idle there for a spell -
    I'm really spoil't on fretless :(. When the double R/A arrived
    with totally WRONG strings, I was lucky to have ol' Epi hangin'
    nearby...My last experiment with her was Rotosound RS88LD
    tapewounds, which is what I needed for one of the necks on the
    double R/A. I didn't wanna' leave the Jackster stringless, tho.
    As luck would have it, I seem to have a bunch of T/I Jazz Flats
    and Rounds sets layin' around (I think they multiply when I ain't
    lookin' :p ). I put some T/I Jazz flats on Epi...:D artic-u-la-tion. Sweet!

::guy on left shoulder:: g' on...ya' know ya' wanna de-fret it.

::guy on right shoulder:: ahhh yes, but it must be a "black" project -
       say nothing to no one - lest ye want thine thumbs broken.

5. I'd love to play a Casady... I've never played a hollow body bass.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've had mine for two months and change... It shares gig time with my MIA P-Bass...

60% Jack
    40% P

or thereabouts. I'm gonna throw my Ashbory back into the mix soon, possibly this weekend, mebbe a 10% chunk of change...

Anyway, the Jack Casady kills for tone and playability. After getting used to the different body style, it's become quite comfortable... Looks awful sharp onstage too!

7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'd really like to have one!!
    i played one and i loved it, but i have 2 good four string basses and i'd prefer to add a 5 strin than another 4, even if the casady has a really good tone. i love the look too!!
    as always here in italy they are more expensive, but that's another and long story!

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Still have mine...and love it! Just finished my solo cd and the Jack was used quite a bit in there. I have also been doing some hip-hop sessions, and the wonderfully warm tone of the Jack fit like a glove.
  9. mainsale

Apr 20, 2000
    Gentlemen, Unhappily my experience with my JC bass is not a good one. After only a few months, the two rear mounting screw assemblies for the bridge began to pull out of the body. I can lift them out with my hand. I'm having trouble finding an authorized Epiphone repair dealer that will do the repair. So mine has just been sitting in it's case untile I can find someone to fix it, as it is currently unplayable. In the meantime, I'm glad I have my "rock solid" Guild starfire II to see me through!!!!!!
  10. Sorry to hear that, Mainsale. You may have tried already, but, if you havn't, go to: www.gibson.com

then look for the Epiphone site. Ask about where you can get it fixed. There's a friend of mine there (an e-friend) by the name of Bob "Skippy" Belchinger who's very helpful. Tell him you know Mickster. I guess there are lemons in all makes/models.

Best of luck. Let me know what happens,
    Mike J.
  11. Whoa! I just went to the Epi site at the Gibson site, (it's in the exchange icon) and they're selling Casadys there for $835.00! COME ON! They're $719.00 at Musiciansfriend.

What a slap in the face. On the lighter side, all they have are Black and Gold Casadys, no sunburst, like mine. ;)

Mike J.

P.S. Check out this letter: www.casadybass.com/testimonials.htm
  12. Hey Max, where can I get a copy. I'm not lookin for a freebie, I just like to support TB members when possible.

Mike J.
  13. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Well, thanks Michael. It's almost ready for release. I need a couple of weeks to finalize the artwork and any little details in the mastering process. My own self-imposed deadline is the NAMM show (next weekend) so I'm hustling to get all the ducks in a line.....
    I will be making a big announcement on TB about it.
  14. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    I've had 2 Casady's for 18 months or so now.(also a Warwick Thumb N/T FL & a Rick Turner Ren F/L).

Gold & Sunburst, but I'm parting with the gold.

A few replies to various posts : I recently put Markley Blue Steels Med Lt (45 -105) on the Sunburst. I find them a bit noisy on the frets, but sweet sounding.

You can buy the JC sig directly from Jack for $835. I think (but am not sure) that includes the case - he sets them up himself, at this time restringing them with the aforementioned Markleys. They're shipped from Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch in Ohio (where you can also take classes from Jack himself.)

I had one of the rear bridge posts come up on my Gold - it was a simple glue-back-in at our local vintage luthier's shop. It's not that uncommon. In my case, I had the angle adjustment on the bridge set too readically.

For other gear, I have a SWR Baby Blue II. For my purposes , that's all I need.

I like my Tuna hot!

Fly Jefferson Airplane!
  15. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Still loving my JC bass here in Los Angeles. I too had one post lift at the bridge. Simple glue job at "True Tone Music" shop fixed it.
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I never bought one. I remember coming across a gold one for somewhere in the $400 range a couple years ago. It rocked! I should've taken it when I had the chance.

Anyway, congrats to all the lucky owners!:D
  17. Happy Birthday!

Mine turned one last month but unfortunately has been in its case under the bed since December. I've been too sick to play at all, haven't even been TalkBassing much lately - toxic mold exposure in my classroom.

However, in the short couple of years that I've been playing, I haven't played or heard anything that I like better than the Jack! I think I'll go pull it out and try to play a little now - thanks for the prompt.

Jacksters forever!

18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I played four sets with mine at a private club last Friday night through a VERY revealing rig (i.e. Euphonic Audio iamp600 and Epifani T212 cab). Man, that thing had tone for days. Really sweet. I still don't like the way it digs into my forearm on a strap but at this gig, I sit down for the first few sets so it wasn't a problem. On the low-volume, jazzy stuff the Jackbass was really superb. I flipped it to the middle toggle position for the dance sets and it rocked strong, too. Yeah, I'm keepin' mine.
  19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've been seriously thinking about getting one
  20. mainsale

Apr 20, 2000
    I finally epoxied the errant posts back in myself and the bass shall survive, no thanks to Epiphone. In the meantime I have acquired a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Signature bass that the Jack Casidy is a copy of. The Gibson is far, far, far superior in tone and playability. The Gibson neck is much different and much more comfortable. Grab one of these scarce basses if you ever have the chance, as they are going up in price fast. I've made about $1,000.00 on mine in just a few months, but I have no intention of selling it.
    Hollow bodies rule!:D