1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jack Casady (or other simlar basses)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by servetakid, Apr 11, 2009.

1. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    hi

i thinking about buying a Jack Cassady, i have a few questions.
    how big is it (width of body compared to a person)?
    how good is the finish and sound?
    also which is the better colour, ebony or gold?

are the pickups worth changing?

cheers

2. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    it's CaSady

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    It is a fairly large feeling bass when strapped on. It's not too thick for a HB but it is a big bass.

Finish and sound are excellent, though others have had problems with the bridge lifting, IIRC. There are easy fixes for this.

As to colour, always match to your hair. If you are a brunette, blond or red head, go for the gold, black hair go for the ebony.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Hahahaha first time in 6 years since im on TB that someone asks "wich is the best colour?"

Total win!

5. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I had a Epiphone Casady. They sound good. The finish is not that great, chips easily. The bridge can/do lift out. I own a Washburn AB-90. fantastic build quality. thinner neck, two pickups. I have it strung with flats..warm and fat sounding.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I just measured my JC and it's 16 inches wide at the lower bout and 1-13/16 deep at the rim.

The bridge inserts pulled out on mine. So I removed all the inserts, applied a bit of superglue and reinstalled them to fix it. It hasn't happened again.

The output jack on mine repeatedly fell into the body and I fixed it by replacing the jack with one having a longer threaded bushing.

Mine's black and I removed the pickguard, switch surround and replaced the knobs with black speed knobs. I also installed Hipshot Ultralight tuners.

7. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    oops! :meh:

8. Moulin

Moulin

Oct 25, 2008
    Germany / Europe
    The Casy is a great sounding bass, I always play it with the TI Flats.
    The difference between CB and a Fender P you see on the picture:

f8t27p202n1.

9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Used to own a Casady. Very nice bass. I agree with all the comments so far. I'd say it's not as big as it is round (see picture). If your arms and torso aren't too short, you'll get used to that. One point on color --- there are a small number of sunburst Casadys out there too. Personally, I always liked the sunburst best (ebony second), but they are very scarce. Good luck. :bassist:

10. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008

i was more asking about which colour has the best finish and shine

11. Moulin

Moulin

Oct 25, 2008
    Germany / Europe
    Whitch colour is the best for you?
    I never had a chance to buy one in sunburst. I think that would be my favorite colour for such a bass, but not available in my country.

The real colour for this (Reissue Bass) shurely is the classical Gibson gold finish.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I used to own a '98 Vintage Sunburst Casady. By far, the best looking color offered, IMHO. My second choice would be the black.

Probably the thing I liked least about the Casady was the placement of the strap button near the neck. I much prefer the button to be on the top horn rather than the back of the bass. Yes, I realize that it's there because it's a HB rather than solid. I'm just saying that I don't like the balance on them. Other than that, it's a great-sounding bass. Particularly with flats.

13. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    thanks all you people who have replied!

is there any other modles out there that are very simlar casady or gretsch style for simlar price?

14. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    bUmP:meh:

15. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I've got a Jack Casady in gold -- totally stock, had zero problems and tons of fun! Rockin tone, great playability, love it! The black looks nice too but I wanted gold since I've already got a few black basses. Check out Sweetwater.com, they have one in their guitar gallary so you can see several pics under bright lights to get a better idea of the finish.

16. Thaxt

Thaxt

Mar 25, 2008
    Yes, I've got a 1999 Casady Signaure bass. A great,great, overtone-laden sound it is, especially w my Alembic strings. Bright, metallic, & piano - like. A real chordbass, among other things. Very unique.

The onboard, passive RLC notch filter provided by the electronics is a kind of simulation of the Guild's 2 (stereo-wired) pickup placements, tho. I think it approaches the Guild, but, listening to YouTube clips of Jack w Hot Tuna,& other recordings, I really can discern that the Guild is completely unique in it's sound - actually different from the J C Sig Bass. Not that my JCB is "bad" - dead on effective - just am one of those authentic tonal fanatics, dig the Ultimate Timbre I hear in that Guild.

I've been trying to (exactingly) nail Jack's timbres from the "Crown of Creation - Volunteers" Airplane era - the ones produced by that (amazing) Alembicized Guild Starfire Bass II. I'm thinking of adding a single Dark Star pickup (perhaps routed in above the current Electrar, & thence using 2 separate, or switchable, outputs). Yet my educated guess is that would'nt be this entire tonequest's finish.

It seems that the actual SHAPE - alike a large acoustic dreadnaught - & wood sculpting, of the Guild SF B II is as essential to that massive bass tone as its pickups & preamp electronics are....so, I'm wondering about the effectiveness of adding a Dark Star alone (?) On a 34" scale axe (& the JCB is), I suppose one could get an even MORE massive tone, given the greater low end of longer strings (Jack's Guild was/is a 30" short-scale deal.)

As well, Jack was then using Pyramid Gold flatwounds - I never figured flats to be responsible for that Airplane sound, but, as a matter of fact , it seems they were.

The Versatone, stereo Pan-O-Flex amp is part of this legend, but, I really do feel that any good, overdriveable, tube bass amp w versatile EQ can get to the same zone, mainly because most electronics of current designer & boutique amps are usually very effective & adjustable. Hmmm...I wonder if anyone alive actually HAS one of those Versatones?

I was watching a nice Guild SF Bass II on ebay for some $800.00 - hard to tell about potential neck warpage w something like that. I think I'd want to test drive such a bass in person, know what I mean?

Any feedback from Casady tonefans & bass modders out there?

17. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

TI flats are on my JC -- love the tone!

18. servetakid

servetakid Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    are the pickups metal? as in some picks they are dull plasticy lookin and ohters they r shiny?

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The pickup cover is cream colored plastic with "Electar" in raised lettering. The pickup ring is also cream colored plastic.