1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Casady pup adjustment.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Nov 9, 2018.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I got the above bass today and am in the process of setting it up. I decided not to touch the pup as it seeemd to sound fine. It was low and level.
    Later today i noticed one of the pup screws was very lose, so I tightened it up. to my surprise that side of the pup got raised quite a bit. So i loosened it off and it went back down, but not the screw is lose again.
    Is this right? It seems reverse of what I’m used to with other basses. Although ive alsmot got the pup where I want it now a few screws are looser than I’d like, and I’m worried they might fall out.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yes, pickup screws can work either way - the JC is typical for cases where there's a pickup ring and the spring pushes the pickup down from it. The other typical case is when there's foam or a spring under the pickup pushing up - and yeah, they typically are reverse of one another. Just figure out what you've got and set it where you want, if the screws are loose, the springs might need some stretching to make them stiffer (which can be done by disassembling, adjusting, and reassembling everything - rather a royal pain on the JC actually).

Haroldo, 96tbird and dave_bass5 like this.
  3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the explanation. That all makes sense, and yes, it looks like it would be a pain to take it apart.
    I’ll just keep an eye on it for now. Seems to sound ok (well fantastic actually).

bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, I personally think it's hard to get a bad sound out of a Jack Casady. :)

96tbird and dave_bass5 like this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Raise the pickup so the springs are slightly compressed and the srews don’t wobble. If it’s too high, you’ll have to pull them apart and stretch the springs.

Its not that big a pain to deal with the pup, it’s taking the strings off, removing the bridge, pulling the pup 4 screws, pulling the springs 2 screws. Wait, yeah it’s a pain.:bag:

dave_bass5 and bholder like this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    It's not that bad of a pain unless you need to pull the guts out to work on them - getting them back in to their right spots via only the pickup routes and f holes is all sorts of devilish fun! :woot:

Haroldo likes this.
  7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Lol, I think ill leave things alone until i have to do any work on it.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You can go to the hobby shop and buy some silicone fuel tubing and press it over the pot shafts before pulling the pots out through the pickup hole and leave the tubing hanging out both ends while you work. Press them back on and draw the parts back through right into place.

bholder likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Great idea - I was thinking there must be a way to shim the spring without complete disassembly for stretching, I wonder if the right diameter tube would work. Anyway, when I work on mine, I tie a string to the top of each pot, switch, and jack, for the same reason, so I can pull them back into place easier in the "put it all back together" phase.

10. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I really like this idea. I have used fishing line all my life for this task - this is much nicer.

bholder likes this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, if you get the right diameter tubing to just fit over the pot shafts, makes taking it apart easier too. Can never get the last bit of string out of the pot threads with my approach...