Jack Casady?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sorry for another person related thread, but this time i got "evidence" of what the person uses, i just don't know what it is. Look at this picture where he strings his bass, what are those strings? http://www.casadybass.com/images/photo_gallery/jc_strings.jpg

During the good ol' 60's, i asume he used flats? What brand?
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    As shocking as this may seem, Jack Casady uses and endorses Dean Markley Blue Steel Stainless bass strings. You can tell that's what they are by the wrappers in the picture. Also, if you buy a bass directly from his website, it is set by Jack himself with Med. Lt. gauge Blue Steels. These certainly don't seem to be the type of string that most people would use on that type of instrument.
  3. During the 60's I believe he used a short scale Guild strung with Pyramid flats. That is in the pre-Alembic days.
  4. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I used Blue Steels when I first got my Casady bass. It's a cool sound - very defined piano type sound. Almost Entwhistle like.

I prefer a more vintage sound and switched to Thomastik flatwounds. With the low Z pickup, it's a very quiet and amazingly deep sound. Besides, the flats are much easier on the fingers on a 4 set night.

I would love to pickup a used Casady for not too much $ and convert it to a fretless with tapewounds. I'm thinking it would have major acoustic fretless "squonk"!
  5. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for your great posts guys! :cool: :bassist: