1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Casady's bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustav, Oct 18, 2006.

1. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    Hello fellow friends
    in this very moment i'm sitting here and listens to the Jefferson Airplane album Crown of Creation.

I love Jack cassadys bass sound and i can't find out what kind of bass he's using.

does anybody know? the crown of creation album is from 68 i think...

//GUSTAV

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Jack used a Guild Starfire semi-acoustic with Hagstrom pickups. Visit Fred Hammon's Dark Star site for more info and a pic: http://www.basspickup.com/

EDIT: TB'er Flashback Bass has just put a great Guild collection online at http://www.guildsofgrot.com. He's got a very clean Starfire in there, too (1st pic in the 'Basses' gallery).

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    At some point Jack had the original Guild electronics and pickups removed and replaced with custom Alembic electronics

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    That's true, and as seen on the pic on Hammon's site, the Guild has a lot of non-original electronics. But according to Rick Turner (on the 'Background' page), all this hot-rodding started in 1969. 'Crown of Creation' came out in '68, so maybe Jack still played a stock Starfire on the sessions?

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    In addition to the Guild/Hagstom, Jack has become known for the hollow-body Les Paul that his signature Epi is modeled after.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I bow to your superior knowledge:)

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Jack also played a J in the earlier years. This thread includes what I'd consider a fairly reliable chronology of Jack's basses (amidst a discussion of Phil Lesh's Guild adventures). I love this picture of Jack and friends: :cool: