1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Casady's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I was just wondering if any of you have realized that at the Monterey pop festival in 67, casady used a jazz bass, which is common airplane knowledge as he didnt start using his starfire until 68, but it looks like he's got a P pickup installed right between the neck and the middle J pickup.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=e9ww_RYl68E
    thoughts? anyone ever try it? and if so, what was the outcome for your sound? just curious...

2. ssarchi

ssarchi

Dec 22, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Is it me or does that sound like mud????

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I think it is you. I'm not being sarcastic. I listened through my studio headphones and I could hear the bass notes just fine. The overall recording isn't the greatest and probably would sound poorly through computer speakers. The recording was made in 67, which may account for how it sounds. Overall, the audio quality better than some other old video clips that I've seen (and listened to).

4. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Sound super nice.. Kinda P-bass-ish

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    yeah i like it. not too muddy to me...

6. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    "Mud" was popular then, too--if by "mud" you mean a big, round, luscious, Italianfull-bottomed ummm. . . .tone.

Sorry, I was watching a Monica Belluci movie last night.

7. ssarchi

ssarchi

Dec 22, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    No, I mean unarticulated, generic, unremarkable kind of thing.....

Guess it is me after all.....

8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Many years ago Jack's jazz bass was for sale at Prune Music in the Bay area. By that time it had a Hagstrom bi-sonic style pickup installed between the jazz pickups: al la Barry Oakley. The last time I saw it, it was owned by a dealer in Chicago.

G

9. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Well, I don't fault a guy for thinking that of the bass in question. Monica, on the other hand. . . .you'd have to be deaf and blind to think of her in those terms. :)

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Probably only a bit muddy on the recording, I would guess.

Sounds like a P with extra J growl thrown in for good measure.

11. ssarchi

ssarchi

Dec 22, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Now who is Monica? Lewinsky?