Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jack input

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    my jack input is really wobbly and i think thats wot is makin my bass buzz. i tried just tightenin the nut on the outside but that hasnt worked. so is there nethin i can do or will i hafta take it to the shop? :confused:

2. To fix the wobble there is very likely a nut on the inside which you can tighten. Shouldn't be too difficult but be careful like Cruise4 said.

Various types of buzzing seem to be about the most common and sometimes the most difficult to analyze problems with the bass guitar. You'll probably have to have someone take a look at that for you, but here's a few questions/suggestions which might give someone here an idea of the cause:

Can you hear the buzz if you're not plugged in?

Plug your bass into your amp. Is the buzz louder (or only there) if you aren't touching the strings or anything made out of metal on the bass?

When plugged in, does the buzz only happen if you're around a running computer monitor, flourescent lights, TV's, etc?

3. Good Lord Almighty.
    This is so inexpensive & so easy.
    Get a new input jack.
    If you can't soldier, pay $10 for the local
    shop to do it for you.

4. Check your lead too. Is there a battery in the bass? Change it if you haven't that way you get the best sound outta your bass. Most times it is something really simple like tightening the nut on the jack.

:p

Merls

5. j0 d00d, y0 n33dz t0 buy 4 n3w plug & w3ld 1t 1n uR gu1t4r.
    m4 0ld b4zz h4d th4 s4m3 pr0bl3m, ch4ng3d th4 plug & m4 pr0bl3mz w3r3 g0n3zz

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    It only buzzes when i plug it in, its not fret buzz buzz, its morer electrical fault drone buzz. It doesnt happen if I play one of the strings though if that explains it any better?

7. Ah.. simple :)
    Use grounded mains-outlet....

no grounding = 50 hz buzz ( or 60 hz if USA, afair )

8. This happened to me once!
    There's a post about it still in setup. It's called Jiggling the chord is bad!
    Look at that. The same thing was happening to me and they told me some stuff to do and it worked pretty good so check it out! :D

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If the jack is tight to the bass but the cord is jiggling, you can tighten the springs of the output jack. That is the tin plates that connects to your cable. Tighten them so that it takes some effort to put in the cable.
    This is very easy to do with an open jack. With a closed jack, it will be much harder, but you can do it using a thin screwdriver.

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool

i did it, i tightend it from the inside and it was nice and tight and the buzzing stopped...for a while. it then became loose again! after about half an hour! what can I do to keep it in place?

11. a small amount of locktight (sp?) anyway, a little bit of that, i think, it comes in different strengths, just a very light amount on the threads, and tighten it up

if you don't want to use the first option, i sometimes use PTF tape on my jack threads. it's white tape used for plumbing, wrap a thin piece of that aorund the threads and tighten, it'll alow you to loosen it if you need to and you won't have to re-apply the tape

stu

12. Do you jump around alot Fishbrain? I used to, make sure you loop your cable around into your strap. stop that bit from moving. Still check your cables too. Don't keep a mobile phone on or near your amp, especially when on. Do you have a three pin mains plug on your amp? AC hum is a pain in the neck etc.

Merls

13. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    yeh i jump around a lot :D and I do put my lead through my strap. and i got a 3 pronged plug thing, but it isnt that because my other bass is silent.

so whats this thing with the plumbers tape bcuz my dad got some so where should i put it?