1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack of All, Master of NONE?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Illbay, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I have always been what we now call "ADHD," all my life. It has made certain things difficult for me, including becoming truly *proficient* as a musician: "Well, time to practice, where's my scale book, HEY, here's that comic book that came last week, I meant to read that (turns pages for a few minutes) now, what was I going to do again...?"

Also, I have always been so afraid of being a piece of **** on any of the several chosen instruments (about which more later) that I bounce from one to the other just trying to get "comfortable."

I play several kinds of basses, steel- and nylon-string (classical) guitars, and even a little electric guit. Now, I've just ordered a Krappy touchstyle guitar, to once again add to my menagerie.

Of course, in the back of my mind I'll NEVER be very good with it, but I BUY things like that because (in my mind at least) it means I'm really a musician, right?

So, is it possible to be a jack of all musical trades - or several, at least - and still get satisfaction? Or is always being a so-so player of several different things really just a way to spread mediocrity over as much of my life as possible?:help:

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Well, in my experience I've found that.... what's for lunch?

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Ah, that's no big deal. Whatever makes you happy, man.

4. I absolutley think that it is possible to be good at several instruments. Almost every profesional saxophone player has at least a decent amount of proficiency with flute and clarinet.

And, as another musician with ADD, some advice. I do not know what your situation is, but having a quasi-dedicated music room really helps me focus. I can go in, close the door, and have almost nothing other than music to distract me.