Jack Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LizardKing3, Jul 20, 2005.

1. The other day I went to plug in my Sqier P-Bass to play; played for about an hour and went to unplug it. The plug snapped out and from then on it just slid in and out.

So I thought I just bent the prong where it makes contact with the cable; wrong. The whole prong had snapped off inside the control cavity. So after a moment of mentally cursing myself I decide to try and fix it, should be easy.

I soldered a new one on yesterday, but it didn't work. Spent about an hour today trying to get it to work, but it won't.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
  2. btw..

Does it matter which wire goes where on the jack?
  3. Find the ground wire that typically connects to the back of pots and to the bridge. Put it aside for now.
    The other wire Connects to the lug that does goes to the Long prong of the jack (tip of the plug). The ground wire goes to the other lug on the jack that connects the "Long sleeve of the plug.)
  4. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I will just bet the new jack had one extra terminal. If you got this jack from a guitar store it won't but I bet that is not where you got it. Even reversed, you will get sound out of a reversed jack, although quite noisy. Go get a 2-pole jack and you really can't screw up unless you let the tip (long) connection touch ground somewhere.
  5. Nah, It was just a regular ol' 2-pole jack, just screwed up soldering it, and got the wires mixed up. It's all good now.

Thanks for the help.