Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jack Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Alright here's the deal:

I just bought a used Zon. I didn't notice it when I sat down and played, but when I played standing earlier I noticed something strange. Whenever the plug moved in the jack (even slight movements on the order of a few millimeters), the signal would cut out and I would get that evil popping sound. I don't think it's the cable because it doesn't do the same thing with any of my other basses.

So, is this most certainly a jack problem? Is it easy to find and install a new jack? I don't know of any techs in the area, and I'd rather not have to send the bass back to Zon for something that seems so minor.

Thanks a ton!

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Pretty easy to replace a jack, but try this first. Sometimes the tab on the jack that contacts the barrell part of the plug gets bent over time. Try bending it *slightly* back towards the hole so that when you insert the plug, it provides a little tighter fit against the barrell. If that doesn't do it, get you a Switchcraft jack and replace it. Good luck!

3. Good have put it better myself.. lol

We seem to be getting a lot of Input jack threads lately. Is it the season for it? Do i need to nail up a sign?

:D:D

Merls

4. There DOES seem to be a lot of this type of problem cropping up and it might be due to the usual trend of cheaper and cheaper parts being sought by manufacturers. Even Ken Smith admitted to having similiar problems after many years of using the same jack and supplier, they had to switch and then switch again. All of this to find a simple (but important) part that shouldn't have quality issues.

All I know is stay away from that crap they peddle at your local Radio Shack!!

5. Well, I think the problem is just as JohnL described. If I just loop the cord through the strap like the previous owner did, the problem goes away.

Many thanks!
    :)

6. Yeah, I plan on doing that for sure. There seems to be a lack of quality techs in the area, so I'll have to do it myself sometime. I'm not in a gigging situation right now, so I'm not going to sweat it too much.

As soon as I can find a soldering iron around the house and get a new jack, I'll probably fix it myself.

Any suggestions on a new jack? I know Switchcraft has already been suggested. Any others?

7. SKwiRL

SKwiRL

Mar 12, 2002
    Daouglas Ga
    that happens to me all the time, you can either pay money to get it fixed, only to mess it up again... OR... you can do what I do and have a plentiful supply of cords at your disposal