Jack Read - any owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, May 13, 2003.

1. I already had a thread on Read a good 9 months back, but as there are tons of new members who have joined since then, I thought I'd gather some more opinions.

Have you owned/played a Read Custom bass? What was your overall impression? Tone? Construction? Playability?

He is building basses all the time (backordered a good 6-8 months), but I never see any on ebay. I guess this is a good sign? These basses are keepers?

Sidenote: I myself am on his waiting list. He should get started on my bass any week now. So I guess it's kinda late to do research on him, but I would just like to hear some more opinions on his work.
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm so glad to see a post about Jack :) I don't own one of his basses but my old bass teacher had 2 necks made by him and they are INCREDIBLE. They simple DON'T go out of tune, the action is insane.. A friend of mine does own a bass of his. I forget all the specs of it, but its amazing. Again, the action was the lowest I've ever seen and no buzzes anywhere. The tone was fat and every note rang clear as a bell.

I just had Jack do some mods on my Schecter and he's a great guy to work with. He'll do whatever he can to satisfy the customer and to get you what you want EXACTLY.

I wouldn't worry at all. I can guarantee you that a few months from now, you'll get a bass that you'll keep for life. There's a reason why you don't see anyone selling them :) I don't know if I'll ever get around to have him build a bass for me, but I am having him make me a fretless in a few months out of a Warmoth body (with Jack doing some custom routing and shaping) and a custom neck.

Hope you enjoy :)
  3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Jack Read rules! I bought a bass from him several years ago. It was basically when I started playing the bass, so I had no idea what I wanted. He was very patient and helped me pick out all of the woods/specs that would meet my satisfaction. Jack gives a trial period, which is a good thing because I ended up sending it back. The one I received just didn't sound right to me, notes didn't sustain, it sounded hollow. I ended up shipping it back for a refund because I didn't want to get "taken." It turned out to be an electronics problem and which was caused by damage during shipping. I believe that bass was the one used in his early bass player ads! Anyway, he gladly refunded me. I would love to work with him again in the future, especially now that I know what I like. Jack rules!
  4. EduardoK

EduardoK Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2004
  5. He doesn't make basses anymore.