Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jack Read - Fair Price???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickbass, Oct 20, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My Aguilar DB659 just doesn't do it for me with my QSC PLX 1602. It sounds "honky" and pure middy unless I add my SansAmp Bass Driver. I don't think a $1000 preamp should be so crummy.

I think a Jack Read could make "it happen" tonewise.

My questions are;

> Is the best way to get a Jack Read Bass Purity through his website???

> Are you estactic with your Purity ???

> What kind of money are we talking for a Purity???

Lawdy, I thank you so much for any input!!!!!!!!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Rick,

1. I ordered directly from Jack. I don't know if there's a better way... don't know if there IS another way!

2. I'm not going to stand up and yell "Greatest Pre Ever" because I haven't tried 'em all... and besides, your taste might differ from mine. But let me put it this way: I'm as ecstatic with my Purity as I've been about any other piece of gear I've owned or tried. :) Another way: I'm so satisfied with the Purity that I sold the Alembic F2B I'd used for 20 years... same one I thought I'd be buried with. Tone-wise, the Purity gives me what the Alembic did plus more... has more features, too (master vol, DI, tuner out, etc).

3. Email Jack, he'll give you the 411.

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    1) I ordered from Jack, too. I don't think there is another way.

2) Well, I also can't say I've tried every preamp available, but I can tell you that liked the Purity more than a Glockenklang Soul I originally planned to get. It's really a fantastic preamp and really gives me all I need & want, but in the end YOUR ears will have to decide.

3) Fuzz is right: e-mail Jack. He's very helpful and tell you everything you'll like to know.

4. rickbass

Fuzz and Christoph - From the little I know, ordering through J. Read is the only way to go. But that info was dated from a "Bass Player" mag.

So, I didn't know if production had caught up with demand. I know he said - "We sell `em as fast as we can make `em". But I didn't know if that was still pertinent. Aguilar used to be the same way and now you can by most Aggies through stores.

I really appreciate your input!!!! Now, I just have to figure out what to ask for my DB659........it's a "virgin."

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You can listen to samples at www.basstasters.com

Personally, I think it sounds a little woolly, but not having access to the EQ, who knows? (My faves on that site are the solid state BBE and the Demeter).

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Purity with a Stewart World 2.1.

The up-side is the tone and build quality. It really does sound amazing, and the mid-emphasis control is the coolest knob I've ever used on any amp! I'm totally in love with this thing. It does for me what I thought EBS lacked in and what Glockenklang came "kinda" close to. Combine that with the all-tube deal and you've got a winner!

The best thing you can do is to call Jack. He'll talk your ear off, if you let him.:) But, to my knowledge, ordering through him is the only way to get your hands on a new one (and I've only seen one used one). The price quoted on his site is probably what he'll charge, unless you upgrade something. The only upgrades I know of, by the way, are different control knobs (purely aesthetic) and higher-grade tubes (which I opted to NOT take). I think there's a 2 unit version for stereo use, as well.

As far as the "wooliness" goes, the gain knob controls the amount of gain in your signal. The gain control is very smooth sounding, gently transitioning from no distortion to downright dirty.

The worst part for me was the wait. I had no amp at all from the time I sold my EBS rig until I got my Purity. It was delivered on the day he said it would be, which probably took 6 weeks or so to arrive.

7. rickbass

With all due respect and at the risk of sounding like a pure jerk, I think judging any gear over the internet is pure suckatation......and I have an Altec Lansing tri-sound set up on my PC and it is far away from reality.

But I admire basstasters so much for what they are trying to accomplish.

8. rickbass

Lawdy, Rob!!! You've really been through some of the best!!!

I really appreciate your input and respect it highly.

You steered me righteously on the SansAmp after you said the POD didn't get it for you.

I'll give Read a buzz and see what it takes. But you know what kills me???? --- It seems like everytime we hook up when the "latest and greatest" comes around, there's an improved model a few months later.
    But, if you don't move on it, you never get anywhere.

Much appreciation!

9. Do schroeders have a mid honk?

My BSE is honky, and muddy.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I found the aguilar AG500 very middy, though they were great mids. I think thats just the voice they're after. Mabye they expect you to have a bass with 2 band boost only EQ (like a sadowsky).

If you like the SansAmp BDDI, try an Ampeg SVP-Pro ...

11. rickbass

I don't mean to be a jerk, but could we get back on the subjects instead of personal agendas.....

> Is ordering through Jack Read the only way to go???

> Does his preamp just "kill" with fine cabs (like my Edens) ???

> What kind of money are we talking about for a Bass Purity???

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you want a Purity, I'm pretty sure it's the only way to get a new one.

IMO, yes. The pre/power I listed above I'm playing through an Epi 4x10 UL. IMO, it KILLS. I don't know about Eden cabs, though.

I think I paid $795 for the unit itself. I don't remember if I paid shipping on top of that or not, though I did spring for the "cooler" knobs. I want to guess that was $4 or so per knob...

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, as far as I know
    I thought it was a great preamp. The Read preamp / EA cabinet combo was a little too pure for my tastes.
    $795 new was the last price I heard. They're rare used, so hard to get a feel on the common used price

14. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Yes!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I paid $795 + shipping for mine. I held my tongue out of fear that someone else would say "Foo', if you'd bought from BassNorthCentralWest you'd have saved $200". :p

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You sher know how to sweeeeet talk a boy, dontchya?;)

Truth be told, I'm STILL not sold on the SansAmp, even after 2 or 3 years. It's got it's good points, I s'pose...

The latest and greatest thing can easily bug ya' if you let it. I think I got my Purity home and plugged it in to my Epi cab (with the Stewart) when I started reading posts about Thunderfunks and Shroeders. Reading Glocks and Aggies vs. this 'n thats...it's all too much. I'm in over my head.

I'm in absolute tonal heaven with my Purity. It's warm and creamy, tubey, and hi-fi. It's all of them and more. It's unreal. Just be prepared to hear the REAL tone of the Cocobolo Queen.;)

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I absolutely love the sound of my Purity preamp.
    I think I paid around $750.00 but it's a pre-production model. I understand now Jack is selling production models. Check www.readcustom.com. Jack is wonderful to do business with.

18. I ordered mine directly from Jack along with a Stewart 2.1. I think mine was one of the first batch of "production" models. After he finally settled on all the components. After 6 or 7 months or however long I've had it, I still get goose bumps everytime I turn the rig on. I haven't tried everything that's ever come out. But I have not gas'd over rack gear since it's arrival. And it goes great with Schroeder cabs. I assume it would also go great with the Edens.

I think in your questions you asked is it worth the money? In my case YES!! I love my tone, everyone else loves my tone, I haven't had the urge to try,trade,buy,sell any rack gear and that makes it worth the money to me.

Jack was straight up with me, and didn't try "sell" me anything. Just answered my questions.... no matter how many I had. Give him a shout.

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Same here, Jack's awesome. He also told me when I was putting down a deposit for mine that if I didn't like it, he'd gladly refund my money.

I agree with RAM 100% on the Purity's 'Mid Emphasis' control. I've set my Purity's 4-Band EQ pretty much flat, with a slight bit of high and low mid boosting. I hate to tweak knobs, so about the only knob that ever gets touched is the 'Mid Emphasis' control. When I use one of my backup basses, I flip the 'EQ Bypass' switch and I'm good to go.

It adds tube warmth to my tone but it doesn't over-color the sound of my basses. I really love how detailed it sounds. But it's not so 'hi-fi' sounding that it's sterile.

I haven't had the opportunity to try a Demeter or Kern preamp for myself (but I love BassTasters!), but many years ago I used an Alembic F1-X, which sounded primo. It's one of the few things I regret selling. But IMO the Purity can do what the Alembic can do and more.

IMO the Purity is very reasonably priced for it's sound and features.

-Art

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I feel some more G.A.S. coming on... :help: :bag: :help: