SOLD Jack Read Purity vintage tube Bass preamp /tube DI (no trades)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by maisbass, May 2, 2021.

1. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    Price:
    $850
    United States
    Rare Jack Read Vintage tube bass preamp/DI. Incredible tone.

$850 plus shipping. Paypal only.

No trades.

Thanks.

IMG_0855.jpeg IMG_0856.jpeg IMG_0857.jpeg

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh my lord....these are so rare and so incredible. I had one early on. Wow!

3. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    Yeah they really are rare and excellent. I've been on the fence about parting with it for a few years now... but now I think it's time since I'm not really playing anymore. I was going to post it on reverb, but I wanted to give my fellow TB'ers a shot at it first. I would like to see it get the attention it deserves and bring a smile to someone's face while playing through it. It always did for me.

4. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
  5. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    I'll be listing this on Reverb next week, so if you are interested, please let me know. Thanks.

6. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Easily one of my favorite preamps I've owned over the years; amazing tube tone and glorious mids; always brought a grin to my face.

maisbass and emjazz like this.
  7. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    Some additional info for some of you here that may not know what this is...

**To be clear, his is a bass preamp/DI, not an amplifier. Does not have a power section. You will need a power amp if you wish to use this with Bass cabinets. I used it with a Crest Prolite 2.0 poweramp which worked great. I will be selling that too. If you're interested, let me know. Now to the listing.

Vintage Rare Jack Read rackmount Tube Bass Preamp / Tube DI. These preamps were handmade in the USA by Jack Read and are high voltage preamps, point to point soldered connections in the preamp which provides incredible response and feel. The Tube DI is a 12AU7 and the tube provided for it is a vintage Sylvania. The bass preamp tube is a 12AX7 which I am providing is a 8025 from the tube store. Both tubes are included in the sale.

These preamps are absolutely killer. Incredible mids that really jump out at you combined with tubey goodness from the preamp. It has an eq section that can be switched on and off via the front panel, Deep switch to provide added depth and girth (switchable on front panel), and the TUBE DI has an output volume control as well. It also has an effects loop for rackmount effects, switchable bright switch on the front panel for added sheen, and line out ( to feed a power amp).

The "Secret Sauce" of this preamp is the Emphasis control. This control is so musical and provides excellent mid characteristics to your tone. It will blow you away.

If you are looking for a tube preamp / tube DI which also provides fast mid response like none other, this preamp is the Cats meow. It is a collectors item. It is in 100% working order. Note: the tubes will be bubble wrapped separately in the box.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, this is a very clean tube pre (this may have been mentioned already). I haven't had one in many years, but I can say that they are supre clean and fast. From my memory it's almost like an EA Iamp with tube warmth/life. Quick and clean with great mids...(correct me if my memory is wrong!)

maisbass likes this.
  9. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    You nailed it ˆˆˆ

emjazz likes this.
  10. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I have one. Yes, it is an amazing clean preamp. With the gain cranked however, it can also bring (at least mine can) an excellent tube overdriven sound. I prefer it over lots of the well thought of pres I have owned, including the Demeter, Fender, Alembic, BBE etc. With the bypass switch you can take the tone controls completely out of the signal path, kind of like an audiophile straight wire pre. And with the space inside of the unit, in the unlikely event repairs are needed, a good tube tech can address it easily. Can't say that about any of the mini class D heads or digital front end pres. Whoever gets this will be pleased.

R&B and maisbass like this.
  11. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    INSIDE PICTURES?

12. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    It's already packed up and ready to ship.

I'll see if I can find some. I believe I may have some.

13. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    I found this on the net..

Jack read inside.jpg

R&B and arbitrary like this.
  14. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I just forgot how glorious it sounded with the eq off switch engaged. I ran it like that when using active basses; so perfect.

15. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    Thank you bro!!!!!

maisbass likes this.
  16. maisbass

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    on hold pending payment

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021