Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jackass- Corona

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Brepeo, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Brepeo

Brepeo

Jan 6, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    Here's one I've been thinking about for a while, Has the Use of Corona in the Jackass TV show lead to an increase in "Double Nickels" sales, or Minutemen sales overall, not that I really care that much, just curious. While were on the subject, who sold more albums, Minutemen, or fIREHOSE? What was the best selling album of the Era(s)? Cause everytime I read about these Punk Historys, Minutemen gets this amazing writeup, buut fIREHOSE is lucky to get a sentence, lame. OK.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Knowing the MTV generation, they don't know/care that it's a minutemen song... in fact to them it's "The Jackass Theme" and that's all. I'd imagine instead of buying double nickels on the dime they'll just run out and buy the Jackass soundtrack. But maybe they'll find out via purchasing the soundtrack that it's a minutemen song and get into minutemen that way. Plus they'll get to rock out to some CKY which I enjoy. :) Boy I sure like to babble. Boy I hate MTV. Which reminds me, I'm not trying to hijack the thread but... Watt, what are your thoughts on the current state of music? Mainstream and otherwise? But by all means, answer Brepeo's question first.

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

g,

of all the records, "double nickels on the dime" and "ball-hog or tug boat" are the best sellers. there's nothing wrong if you like fIREHOSE better but people are going to have their opinions, just like you have yours. I do know there had to be a minutemen if there ever was going to be a fIREHOSE and d. boon was my best friend but I have much respect for ed fROMOHIO too. of course the same w/george hurley. you should find peace in your own mind about this and not from my ideas or any kind of record sales to back things up. it's ok to like what you like.

don't forget to play your bass!

on bass, watt

4. watt

matt,

things are about the same as they always are except for maybe this 'genre' concept segregating things a little too much. music is notes and rhythms and shouldn't be so under the foot of marketing that it has adopt any kind of tag to make it meaningful.

I don't think these are the "most terrible days" cuz if you think back about the 50s, pat boone sold more copies of "tutti-fruity"
    than little richard did - what was that about?

on bass, watt

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Hah, that's funny about Tuti Fruity. Yeah, I don't like this "trying to put a label on everything" idea that recently came about, especially with all these fusions of existing genres like rap rock, funk rock, etc etc. What ever happened to good ol' rock n' roll. :)

6. Brepeo

Brepeo

Jan 6, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    Oh Matt, don't say bad **** about MTV, it's ****in' choice, think of how the world would be without it? No Britney Spears, **** no, none of them other Disney Muppets shakin their boobies and their dicks, and no Ricky Martin, I'd die. Did anyone ever see that becoming show on MTV, where they made the guy into Ricky Martin, and he was stoked, what's that about??? Yeah, I wanna be Ricky...
    Anyway, ramblin, don't worry, I listen to what ever I feel like, I got a good selection of fIREHOSE and Minutemen to listen to, so I'm alright.

7. Brepeo

Brepeo

Jan 6, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    Sorry for swearing on that last one, got a bit excited, then I got blurped, just wanted to add one more point, so I don't sound like a quep. About record sales, I'm not one of them that measures success in sales, I don't care if it only sells one copy, I'm just trying to figure out the curent situation. Um, yes.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    there are a few words in your last post you might wanna go back in edit. I personally don't care, but the mods will be on you for it. They are running a family board... blah blah blah... you catch my drift.

9. watt

hi,

I agree, when it comes to your own personal tastes - there is no safety in numbers. the fact something is liked by a lot of people at the same time would be mainly due to statistical coincidence if people were honest about what they really dig and not trying to like something just so they'll "fit in" w/the herd. also, I think a person's taste might change over time - not one-way either - they might come back to something the first liked, then hated and now like again. free will is funny like that. there's also the fact you might actually like and hate something at the same time. what a well-made world...

on bass, watt