Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacks for Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm designing my own REAL pedalboard (not wood and zipties,) and i'm trying to keep cable clutter down. I've seen sites where I can buy jacks that mount to the pedalboard and then I plug into it. Do you know what I mean? Can somebody link me to the site? Also, if you don't know what I mean, just lemme know and i'll try to describe better.

EDIT: I think i'm looking for something like P1.

[​IMG]

My power supply would need to plug into the coupler (we'll call it that) and then that would be mounted on the side of the pedalboard. Then to connect the board to power, you would just plug the female jack into the pedalboard and the male jack into the power source/wall/whatever.

EDIT 2: Something like this, but i'm not sure which thing exactly.

http://www.switchcraft.com/
    http://www.switchcraft.com/products/connector-search.html

EDIT 3: Could I use something like these and hook them up on both sides of the pedalboards and then not have to worry about cables at all, just worry about plugging into the pedalboard?

EDIT 4: Alright, these are pretty much the closest things i've found. The only problem is, those are like computer power supply cable receptacles. Advice?

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I think its called a hardware store :eek:

Home Depot is a hardware store....... :eek:

Why don't you just mount a power bar (not the snack) on the board.....

They look somthing like:
    [​IMG]

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    If I read you right, you want a flanged male surface mount AC jack, something like this:

[​IMG]

I use them for my rack- you just plug most any standard extension chord into it and run it to an outlet and you have instant power. All you need is a hole saw to mount it.

Try to get hospital grade- they are higher in quality and usually more durable.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Silly IcedEarth, I already have one! I must not have explained thorougly enough in my original post, but it will be on my pedalboard, but I want the cable to stay under the pedalboard and plug into the AC Jack Tedintheshed was talking about. Then no cables will be hanging out and nothing will be messy. All i'll need to do to get power is plug in an extension cord.

EXACTLY! So I can just mount that on my pedalboard, then plug my power strip on my board into the back of it, then when I want power, just plug in with extension cord right?

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So can I also buy 2 flanged male surface mount 1/4" jacks too? I'd mount the input on the right side and it would hook up to my Whammy (first pedal in chain,) and i'd hook up the output on the left side, which would be hooked up to my Line 6 Echo Park (last pedal in chain.)

EDIT: For example:

[​IMG]

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

you mean like this?
    copy cat! ;)
    yeah man..go go go!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

are you going to put some locking in/outputs in too?

[​IMG]

album link

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude, that's EXACTLY what I want. You don't care if I totally gank your idea do you? ANYWAYS, where can I buy those sweet 1/4" jacks? Do you just plug into the back from your first pedal in the chain, then plug into the front wtih the first pedal? Where did you buy the AC Jacks too?

You're the man!

-Pete

8. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    dude...take the idea and run with it!
    can't understand why the pedal board companies don't offer them like this to begin with...it's really a no-brainer.

the ins/outs are Neutrik locking 1/4 inch panel mount jacks
    you can get them here as well as other online places.

you should be able to get AC inlets at any local hardware store.

now, what I did to the board you see in the post...
    I took a Furman locking power strip and cut the AC cord off of it...then hard-wired the AC inlet (mounted on the pedalboard) to it. It was possible to do it this way because the PedalPad I used has a lower compartment and the power strip is out of view.

the ins and outs on this particular system are hard-wired to a VHT valvulator, tube buffered unit. You don't have to use one (tho I highly recommend them) on your board....just hard-wire one end of the first cable (INPUT) to the Neutrik connector....then do the same to the last(output to amp).

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What advantages does what you said above give me?

10. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

what part? all of it?

the locking Neutrik connectors lock the plug so you can't pull it out during performance. The locking Furman strip "locks" in wall-warts, so they can't fall out. The VHT valvulator is a tube(12AX7) buffered circuit...and converts the signal from high impedance to low...allowing no signal loss due to using many feet of cable etc...as well as powering the FX.

VHT INFO

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Very good! Thanks so much for all the info man.

12. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    sure!
    now just give me a nod in the "most thoughtful TB'ers" thread ;)
    LOL

j/k :)

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You know, I think I will! :p

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah- my rack has been wired like that for years, except instead of a powerstrip hooked to it I have a Furman.

I started doing that to my PA gear in the 80's when I co-owned a production company with an industry vet sound engineer and he showed me the trick. I take out any power surpression, mount a male jack to a power strip, mount the power strip inside the rack and cut all the AC cords to legnth and use cable ties to neaten it up. It helps with set up time, and if anything happens to the extension chord you just grap another.

It's the small practical ideas like this that when cumulated makes set up and tear down much, much easier.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So for the 1/4" jacks and AC jack, I just plug my cables into the back of them then the extension cable into the front right?

16. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Alembic,

How much did that pedalboard cost start to finish?

My pedalboard right now is pretty well a mess. I've got 9 components on there (7 of them powered), and I built my own multi power supply with an answering machine power adapter (higher mA rating). I haven't had anything to compare it to, but I must assume that it's introducing some noise at least into the signal chain.

Nothing is hidden, and at best, I can keep things slightly organized. But it's still just a piece of plywood, painted black, with strips of velcro on it, and a whole slew of cables running every which way (and hopefully not getting mashed into stomped switches).

I'd very much be interested in building (or buying) a whole setup like that.

17. I happened across this older thread earlier. I need that same AC flanged inlet, but I'm having one helluva time trying to find one. Parts Express doesn't have one, I didn't find one at Ace Hardware, Switchcraft, etc..

If anyone can help by posting a link to an online retailer or knows of a specific store that carries these?

Thanks..

Mag...

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    For everything thattalked about here, (except the VHT) I'd go to www.mouser.com

It can be a pain in the arse to navigate, but the prices are amazing, and shipping is fast.

19. Thanks for the reply. I did try Mouser and they show a Leviton model, non-stocked, 4 week wait, for 16.57.. that's steep for the part, plus shipping...
    I found a Nylon encased Marinco model for 8.00, but they want 8.94 to ship? haha... Somebody is trying to make a profit, right?

Honestly, I did not realize that this part would turn out to be such a specialty item. I would gladly pay up to 10.00 for the part (shipped), but any higher and I guess I can find other options.
    I have several IEC (computer-style) flanged female jacks and cords that I might consider installing. I had preferred to use the simple AC inlet jack, but oh well..

Anyone else know where to get these??

Mag....