1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Jackson Announces New David Ellefson X Series Signature Basses

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 26, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Jackson and Megadeth’s David Ellefson joined forces to bring a fresh new spin on his signature lineup with the 4-string X Series Signature David Ellefson Concert™ Bass CBXM IV and 5-string X Series Signature David Ellefson Concert™ Bass CBXM V. These hard-hitting models are ravishing in look and sound, exquisite in feel and loaded with personal design touches straight from the man himself.

Both models feature a poplar body constructed with an upper contour that provides a comfortably stable anchor for pick or fingerstyle playing alike, and a lower contour for perfect balance when propped on a knee. A graphite-reinforced bolt-on quartersawn maple neck provides the utmost stability for highly-technical lightspeed playing, while the 12”-16” compound radius maple fingerboard has been designed for increased playing comfort and speedy articulation. A heel-mount truss rod thumbwheel also allows for quick and convenient neck adjustments.

Active EMG® J bridge and EMG P neck pickups provide plenty of punchy mid-range and increased output as an active 3-band EQ bolsters their native power, shaping and refining it for maximum impact and versatility. The blend knob mixes the pickups to taste — add more of the neck pickup for a punch of warmth or bring up the bridge pickup for more cut. A Jackson HiMass™ bridge sharpens notes’ attack for extra clarity, granting enhanced sustain without significantly altering the instrument’s fundamental tone.

The 34”-scale CBXM IV and 35”-scale CBXM V are offered in Gloss Black with white pickguard or Snow White with black pickguard. These leviathan basses are finished off with chrome hardware and an all-new Jackson paddle headstock (CBXM IV has 4 tuners on top; CBXM V has 4 tuners on top and 1 on bottom) that features the familiar “Radiation” logo and Ellefson’s signature embossed on the truss rod cover.

To see more new offerings from Jackson, please visit jacksonguitars.com.

2916741503-X-Series-Signature-David-Ellefson-Concert-Bass-CBXM-IV-Gloss-Black. 2916751503-X-Series-Signature-David-Ellefson-Concert-Bass-CBXM-V-Gloss-Black. 2916751576-X-Series-Signature-David-Ellefson-Concert-Bass-CBXM-V-Snow-White. 2916741576-X-Series-Signature-David-Ellefson-Concert-Bass-CBXM-IV-Snow-White.

andruca, Al Krow, scottm and 9 others like this.
  2. Look great but the Poplar body turn me down.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  3. Fender had used Poplar for some bodies as well as Pine...

4. Challanger2

Challanger2

Feb 13, 2015
    Does anyone know what EMG pickup and preamp models are used? All the articles I've read just say "Active PJ pickups with preamp", wondering if the exact specs have been released.

5. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Put a black PG on the black bass and we'll talk.

MYLOWFREQ, Herrick, Low84 and 2 others like this.
  6. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    A future classic no doubt. Better stock up.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool beans.

8. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I'll stick with my Peavey Scorpio.

9. Bassmann79

Bassmann79 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I can respect that Dave is a loyal guy to Jackson but might as well go Sadowsky NYC because these Jackson models are IMO a wannabe Sadowsky!

scottm and Jon Muir like this.
  10. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    That's actually pretty cool looking. Was never a fan of the classic Jackson headstock on their basses so it's nice to see them using a more common shape.

DiabolicLow B and MateoG78 like this.
  11. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    You buy the black, I'll buy the white, and we'll swap pickguards. I would want white on white as well.

12. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    These are a lot more aesthetically pleasing then his other signature model IMO. However, I was looking at some info and thought it was interesting that the import model Dave Ellefson 4 string (the version w/ the pointy headstock) lists for $791.65 (can't forget about that 65 cents). But if you want what looks like the same thing but made in the USA version 4 string - it lists for $6548.49 (can't forget about that 49 cents). So if you are trying to write down a piece of paper - pro's/cons of both - what can you say you are getting for the extra $5756.84? I've seen this before where I think "Ok - if the import was $800 and the made in USA version was $2400 - you could probably legitimately explain where the extra costs come into play. But I have a hard time believing that there is legitimately an extra $5756.84 worth of material/hardware/electronics on the US version.

Plus, it's interesting to note that when it comes to recording - he still uses his quiver of Modulus basses :)

13. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im really kind of digging these...

14. This is quite classic also , this shape was used back in the 80's , not an expert of their historical appearance but a legacy headstock at least

mattattack187 likes this.
  15. Jon Muir

Jon Muir

Jun 13, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    He was just recently pictured using a dingwall on new recordings...

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    One could argue that Sadowsky is a Fender copy and so is this. In what way do you think this bass is trying to be a Sad? It doesn't look like one at all.

17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

These are cool, but I’m still waiting for a Jackson Concert Bass reissue- like the ones from the 80s: neck- through construction, emg P/j pickups, sharkfin inlays, etc.

18. The bass is ok, but i'd rather have the current signature model.

19. Rickter

Rickter Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Played these at Summer NAMM at the Jackson/Charvel/Gretsch/EVH room. They had a solid feel, were resonant and played easily. The additional touches to make them a "players instrument" are nice. Being a little more "traditional" in appearance than the typical Jackson (which I still love), I am seriously considering picking one up.

Fingerer and Direct Box Rox like this.
  20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Loose the PG then maybe a 5 banger...loose the PG and make the body Ash and then...hell yes.
    Rock on.