Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jackson Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JEN72, Jun 11, 2001.

1. JEN72

JEN72

Jun 11, 2001
    Hello,Ihave been playing bass for about 8 months now,currently Ihave an old Encore bass which I am now thinking I would like to change. I like the look of the Jackson C4MJ bass but I am struggling to find anyone who sells them! Does anyone out there know where I can get one? Also, if anyone has any comments on the suitability as a second bass? Thanks.P.S. Ilive in the U.K.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    First of all, please don't buy a bass solely on its looks. In all the time I've spent on the various internet forums I've never heard anybody say, I'm gonna buy a Jackson! Come to think about it, in all the live music I've seen I don't recall ever seeing a Jackson bass. I've never played one, maybe they are good, but find one to play before you buy.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I saw one at local store, dunno what model it was. It looked and felt kinda decent, neck was quite wide and thin. Diden't plug it in tho.

But do not buy by looks, go and try one out for yourself.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i played one at a local store and i really liked it. it had a pj pup confuiguration. it seemed to be built fairly well. i cant help you with what model it was, sorry.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I had a Jackson C5A 5 string. It is now on consignment at a shop, having been replaced with a
    Peavey Millennium 5.
    It looked good.
    It played fast and easy.
    It sounded...
    Ordinary.
    The other posts are right on; LISTEN!

6. Gharet

Gharet

Jun 12, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have a Jackson c5mj i have just recently bought, and it overall has to be the best bass i have managed to play so far. Im not an expert or anything on tone, but for the type of music i like to play... agressive metal.. it rulz! I can get anything from a real deep mello sound to an agressive "growling" sound by adjusting the knobs. Jackson has always been know for making quality guitars, they dont make junk and besides they use seymour duncan pickups and electronics stock, in my opinion the pest pickup company there is. as for finding a place that sells them you can check out musiciansfriend.com or lanningmusic.com as they are a Jackson dealer(its where i bought mine with hardcase for $530 US dollars). As with all Jackson guitars and basses they have a wide, thin neck with very light action which makes for fast easy play and besides... they look great, NO DAMN PICKGUARD!

i attached a pic of my bass so you can see one if you havent already.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You must be a fairly young lad. When I started playing in the Mid 80s, Jackson/Charvel was pretty hot stuff. Both guitars and basses. There were tons of HM and glitter metal players out there.

I played at least 200 shows with a hot pink sparkle flake Jackson. Twin single coil jazz pickups and the headstock that could double as a home defense weapon. Ebony board. It was super sweet and highly coveted at the time. It was stolen from my home in about 90 along with a few other choice relics from my big hair days, including my main player Yamaha BB1600. Losing the Jackson was probably a good thing though. It played and sounded so good, I might have tried to drag it out later in the 90s and got laughed off the stage.

I have no idea if they still build quality instruments, but the were once pretty hot stuff.

Chas

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey a few weeks ago i was looking for a new bass for a cousin of mine that was just starting! In a music store there was a 5 string jackson and it was nice! Not sure what model it was but i think they sell it in musicians friend! It ws a good bass neck through i think it had emg pickups! As a first bass it would have been awsome!

9. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I think Jackson makes some good basses. I've got a Concert V model 5 string and it's a great bass. It's got a very ballsy, growling, grinding rock tone, and get some good funk tones too, but the string spacing is a little narrow for slapping. It's got a tight B string (w/ the right strings MTD's being my string of choice) It also sounds excellent recorded, even better now that I've upgraded the pickups to EMG's.

I've played some of the newer CA series and they played excellent and had a good sound acoustically but plug in they were a little plain sounding. Probably just needs a pickup or pre-amp upgrade and you'd be stylin'. As for where to find one I, know here in the states Guitar Center carries them. You might try www.jacksonguitars.com and see if they can give you a list of dealers.

10. JEN72

JEN72

Jun 11, 2001
    Thanks to everyone who has replied so far,its been agreat help!I still havnt located a dealer, but its another three months till my first gig, so theres time yet! In answer to some of your comments,Iam quite young, I am also a girl( if that makes any difference!) The guitarist I play with has a Jackson Performer, so I know they make good guitars, in fact it was him that put me on to their basses! Any how Ill keep looking. In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions as to what would make a good second (gigging) bass?

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Fender is great for a back up bass!

12. i have never played a jackson concert bass, but i must say that i HATE my jackson performer 4. not very versatile, rather heavy for a tiny little 4, i still dont know how to get at the 9V battery if/when i need to replace it, it's not reliable (mine shorts out all the time due to crappy wiring), the passive electronics and EQ suck major ass, and the combination of a short neck and through-bridge string loading requires you to use REALLY thick-gauge strings if you want the strings to be tight and also makes it VERY annoying to use long-scale strings.

i must admit that my bass does have good sustain and great acoustic properties, but it still isnt worth the smelly-ass turd that's always fun to leave unflushed at a crappy party.:D

13. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Are ya' near to any of these "Bass Centre" locations? (their site - click).

They got a lotta' high $ (£? :) ) Alembics and Status'. But they also
    carry some nice Fenders, Deans, Hartkes, etc.
    • London Store:
      131 Wapping High Street,
      London E1 9NQ
      Tel: 0207 265 1567
    • Manchester Store:
      1 Castle Quay,
      Chester Road, Castlefield,
      Manchester M15 4NT
      Tel: 0161 834 2636
    • Birmingham Store:
      15 The Arches,
      Livery Street,
      Birmingham B3 1EU
      Tel: 0121 212 4954

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Seriously? You disinterred an 8-year-old thread just to post a link to an ended auction?

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Had a jackson bass a couple times many years ago. Theyre nice. However theyre necks are a bit on the wide side which is main reason I stopped useing them. Their prices today (in america at least) are also a bit high compared to the nice competition.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ah, OK! When you get it, be sure to post about it in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441185 (much more current, and full of pages of good Jackson discussion).

That particular bass has been listed on Ebay about six times in the last six months, the last three times by the person who bought it from the guy who listed it the first three times. :) I was tempted to bid on it many times across all of those opportunities, but I already have a very similar Jackson, and can't afford to collect multiples of "nearly the same" bass. It looks awesome though.

17. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    multiple jacksons?

hey Bongo should I post "one" pic of my Jackson family in this thread?...:D

and AndyJ, that C5 is NOT A CMG, period, but for what you paid with EMG's and a case is not bad, BUT, that IS/WAS NEVER was a custom made for anyone, including Megadeaths new bassplayer for use in the studio ( I can't recall his name )...although it is nice, it is NOT what the seller claims AT ALL.

nope,nada,uh..no.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    In fairness to the seller in this case, from what I can tell he's a young and inexperienced guy, and he's just repeating what was claimed by the previous seller. So I don't think the seller in this case was intentionally saying anything wrong. The previous seller, who I exchanged a couple of emails with, made some big claims that he admitted (in an email to me) were not documented "facts".

19. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    James Lomenzo is the Current Megadeth Bass player.

I saw that auction, and wondered about it too..... thanks :)
    I figured it wasn't really a custom shop or anything.... The seller would have stuck a one in front of the starting price....