1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jackson Basses, have they always been active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Mar 18, 2013.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I've been looking at trying a classic Jackson (before fender bought and desttroyed them. I've heard good things about their basses. I was looking them over and have yet to come across a naturally (unmotified) passive Jackson. Was there ever a time Jackson was Passive, if so when and what models?

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It was the MIJ 22 fret bolt on replica of the MIA 21 fret neck thru body Dave Ellefson from Megadeth's Holy Wars model

A passive P/J (V/B/T) poplar slab body bass with black hardware and ultra flat rosewood fingerboard with pearloid sharkfin inlays

Except that it weighted just like a bass, it could handle an electric guitar like ultra low action with no fret buzz at all, but honestly was really really poor soundin' and - but back in the day I just wasn't aware - it would have better benefit from a set of, say, EMGhz pickups or others;)

Exceptional fit and finish, but no good overall bass

Today beware cheap JS2/JS3 indian cedro bodied Concerts, otherwise, from EMG equipped ones up until Hatebreed's Chris Beattie to updated Ellefson fallout signature models, they're back with a vengeance, just much more expensive than they used to be.

Cheers,
    Wallace