Jackson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sam Penny, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Sam Penny

Sam Penny

Sep 24, 2000
    Well i have been playing bass for a while now and our band has started to get off the floor and we are doing gigs now..and i was thinking about getting a new bass, and the jackson basses look pretty good...i was wondering if anyone has one and could tell me what they are like and if they are worth it
  2. I don't like the new jacksons but when I used to play thrash metal I had a jackson concert V five string. It had kind of dark overtones, a really unique sound. It was quite a nice bass: it even had a tight B-string. I was just sick of looking at it, though. It was too metal for the kind of music I want to play now.
  3. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I only have experience with a single Jackson model. Sorry, can't remember the number, but it was a close resembalance to a P-Bass Special (1 jazz pickup, 1 p pickup). It's still made (at least it's still in their current catalog) and it's a passive four string. Didn't sound all that good and overall felt like crap: it was so light that I felt like I was playing a toy. However, you may like really light basses. Anyway, that's my opinion. If I find the model number I'll post it. I really do like their Concert series basses, however (looks-wise at least).
  4. Sam Penny

Sam Penny

Sep 24, 2000
    thanks people...another bass that caufght my eye was an ESP
    F-204 which looks cool...doeas anyone know how it plays?? if so let me know
  5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I recently broke down and bought my first bass (played guitar since 1983, though) and narrowed it down to the LTD B-204 and the Fender Jazz Deluxe (MIM).

I initially decided to get the ESP partly because it was different (didn't see as many as you did Fenders), partly because it was cheaper (the Fender was a 5 string but cost $30 more and I only got a gig bag), partly because it had EMG pickups (I have them in my Strat and love them), partly because I didn't want to think I was letting the name on the guitar influence my decision, and partly because I think the ESP in natural was a *really* nice looking guitar. It cost me just under $500 with a hard case.

It played very well and I could get a wide range of sounds out of it. However, I kept thinking about the Fender since that was really the sound I had in my head. I took my ESP back a few times to compare them again and decided to change my mind - I swapped it for the Fender.

However, I was really surprised by the ESP and would recommmend checking it out. If I hadn't also seen the Jazz Deluxe I'd still have it (and I think would ahve been happy with it).