Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jackson Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sam Penny, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Sam Penny

Sam Penny

Sep 24, 2000
    Well i have been playing bass for a while now and our band has started to get off the floor and we are doing gigs now..and i was thinking about getting a new bass, and the jackson basses look pretty good...i was wondering if anyone has one and could tell me what they are like and if they are worth it
    CHEERS!

2. I don't like the new jacksons but when I used to play thrash metal I had a jackson concert V five string. It had kind of dark overtones, a really unique sound. It was quite a nice bass: it even had a tight B-string. I was just sick of looking at it, though. It was too metal for the kind of music I want to play now.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I only have experience with a single Jackson model. Sorry, can't remember the number, but it was a close resembalance to a P-Bass Special (1 jazz pickup, 1 p pickup). It's still made (at least it's still in their current catalog) and it's a passive four string. Didn't sound all that good and overall felt like crap: it was so light that I felt like I was playing a toy. However, you may like really light basses. Anyway, that's my opinion. If I find the model number I'll post it. I really do like their Concert series basses, however (looks-wise at least).

4. Sam Penny

Sam Penny

Sep 24, 2000
    thanks people...another bass that caufght my eye was an ESP
    F-204 which looks cool...doeas anyone know how it plays?? if so let me know
    Thanx!

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I recently broke down and bought my first bass (played guitar since 1983, though) and narrowed it down to the LTD B-204 and the Fender Jazz Deluxe (MIM).

I initially decided to get the ESP partly because it was different (didn't see as many as you did Fenders), partly because it was cheaper (the Fender was a 5 string but cost $30 more and I only got a gig bag), partly because it had EMG pickups (I have them in my Strat and love them), partly because I didn't want to think I was letting the name on the guitar influence my decision, and partly because I think the ESP in natural was a *really* nice looking guitar. It cost me just under $500 with a hard case.

It played very well and I could get a wide range of sounds out of it. However, I kept thinking about the Fender since that was really the sound I had in my head. I took my ESP back a few times to compare them again and decided to change my mind - I swapped it for the Fender.

However, I was really surprised by the ESP and would recommmend checking it out. If I hadn't also seen the Jazz Deluxe I'd still have it (and I think would ahve been happy with it).