1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JAckson/Charvel Info Needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Webb, Apr 20, 2006.

1. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    Got a P-style Jackson/Charvel on E'bay for $150.00
    Excellent shape except someone messed with the wiring.
    The tone pot is disconnected and the V pot looks like a 3 yr old soldered it.

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram and parts list?
    Also, what year and model is it?

Serial # 287747.

Peace,
    John

2. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    What is the pickup config?

What does the headstock look like and what is the style of lettering on the headstock?

Pointy headstock with guitar logo probably a late 80's.

Pointy headstock with "toothpaste" logo early 90's.

This is my primary bass:
    bass006.

1987 Charvel Model 3B. Neck thru, pj.

Necks on all the Jacksons and Charvels I have played are fast and smooth.

I you have pics post em. I don't know what the rule is on other forums so pm me and i will send you a link for a great Jackson/Charvel forum.

3. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    Here it is (See attachments),

The pickups are 2 wire. The wiring is therefore slightly diff from Fender P. I am going to re-wire it. I wonder if regular (black) p pickups will fit?

Thanks for your help!

jpw

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    it's looks like a B2.. bolt-on.. it's the same schematic as a standard PBass..

this is my 1987 B3 w/active JE2000 PJ setup.. it's a great bass..

[​IMG]

5. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    If I remember correctly a 2B is a PJ, bolt on. It might be a 1B. Definitely appears to be a late 80s (85-88) model.

Necks are killer IMO.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You're giving me flashbacks. I played one of those all through high school and college.

7. mandoman

mandoman

Apr 21, 2006
    I just traded in a 3B I found in my closet to upgrade to a Fender Marcus Miller. That bass really brought back memories, especially the smell from opening the case. But on to newer things I guess.

Right about those necks, smoothest neck on any instrument I've ever played. Awesome finish too.

So now that you own one, you have to grow out your hair really long and wear tight leather pants, and for your next heavy metal rock ballad video make sure you point that super pointy 'hockey stick' headstock right into the camera :)

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Oh oh! I'm gonna come out of the closet. Here's the love of my life. Pointy head and all.

1984. San Dimas. Original owner. Serial No. J0039. Neck-thru.

Got it at Sam Ash on 48th St. back in the days when they actually had nice stuff. They carried a lot of the Jackson/Charvel custom shop stuff. One more beautiful than the next.

I just walked in and saw it on the rack. No intentions to buy. I had been looking at Spectors, Steinbergers, etc., etc. I played it for nearly an hour and I took it home.

I have NEVER played a bass that was better. And I've played a LOT. I really dislike the heavy metal association and lethal headstock -- but I'll never sell. If you close your eyes, it's as beautiful as they come.

9. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    Who made the pickups?
    I can't find any markings on them anywhere.

jpw

10. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You talkin' to me?;)

If so, EMG P and EMG humbucker (guitar size). They later changed that to a J.

I don't know if there's a model number. The tone circuit is passive. Volume - Volume - Tone.

11. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    Actually no, the ugly white P pickup on the red bass.

12. No "might" about it. It is definitely a 1B. :^D

13. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    right.. a 1B.. :meh: