1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jackson Concert, any good? alternatives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sindhu Partomo, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Sindhu Partomo

Sindhu Partomo

Mar 10, 2015
    Indonesia
    Hi everyone, I'm currently playing metal with my G&L L2000 (I don't know whether it's weird or not). I have it because of its active pickups and versatility (since I also play other things in spare time). However, I like the overall shape (body, neck, headstock) of jackson JS concert basses, but at such price, I'm wondering if there is anything out there like it with higher build quality since I'm willing to save up for better bass at three times its price. Thanks in advance

2. Well, I play a Jackson JS3V in a Thrash/Groove metal band, and it sounds and feels great.

When I bought it I had in mind to put EMG's on it, but finally I decided to keep the original electronics as they sound really well.

Neck is a dream, really fast and confortable for a 35" bass. Building quality is also great for the price.

Only one bad thing, it neck-dives because of the big (and pretty) headstock.

Mine was made in your home land Indonesia, but I think some of them are made in Vietnam which I find inferior talking about quality and finish.

3. Sindhu Partomo

Sindhu Partomo

Mar 10, 2015
    Indonesia
    Thanks for the info, sauron. I'm now thinking of getting one with 4 string, put heavy strings and tune it to BAED. I wonder if all made-in-indonesia guitars are made in Cort's facilities..

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The Jackson concert for the money is a damn fine bass.

5. DVJENS

DVJENS

Feb 3, 2014
    Would like to chime in here FWIW. I'm a big Megadeth fan so obviously looked into this one because of it's Ellefson connections. But not really looking into actually playing thrash metal like that even though I have listened to plenty in my day. More of a classic rock guy I guess in terms of what I actually like to play. But thought it looked cool, got it used for a really good price and thought I would try it.

This was the bass that taught me that a "comfortable neck" is not always about a narrow nut width. I have smallish hands and always gravitated towards instruments with narrow neck widths. This one is not as narrow as I typically like but the neck is lightning fast. The neck is arrow straight and I can get the strings nearly lying on the fretboard with no noticeable buzzing. I just can't describe how comfortable the neck feels to me. The nut width is not as thin as my SR300 or other basses I own...but I would say this is the most comfortable neck on a bass that I have ever tried. They advertise a compound radius neck. Don't even know what that means but something makes the neck on this thing a joy to play. Of course this is a very personal thing...others may not feel the same way. There is just something that feels really right about this bass to me.

I got the hankering to sell it so that I could buy another bass. Took it into GC and the sales guy that was doing the trade-in for me actually talked me out of trading it in. He was playing it and asking me why I would want to trade this in for what they were going to give me. I ended up cancelling the transaction and taking it back home where it has been with me for about the last year.

I'm not an expert at all. But check around I think you will find good things said about this bass. There is a Youtube video out there by a guy that is sort've a funk/slap type player and you can see it in his eyes...how surprised he is that he is loving this "metal" bass with the pointy headstock. I'm not going to say it is the greatest bass ever made, but it is really high quality, it is a lot more attractive than any of the pictures make it look, the neck is just super comfortable and lightning fast and I can get pretty much any tone out of it that I personally want. It is a real keeper for me and a bass that many people unfortunately overlook I think because it looks like a metal bass. It is a lot more than that. By the way, to be honest, they don't seem to hold their value well so you can pick up good used ones online for a steal!

CM63 likes this.
  6. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have 3 Jacksons, A 90s Concert V, A early 2000s CMG (like the new concerts) and a Kellybird V. All sound great. I would like to sell the Kellybird and pick up anew Concert V. The Kellybird is just to uncomfortable to play.