1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jackson esp or schecter for new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff em all, Jul 26, 2012.

1. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    hello fellow bass enthusiast!
    ive been searching for a new bass lately and have come across these..
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson...eries-Electric-Bass-Guitar-H76637-i2038276.gc
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-surveyor-414-electric-bass-guitar?condition=used#used
    http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/d...-Ghost-4-String-Electric-Bass--P2343C437.aspx
    ive been looking in to them but the only one i can find a decent amount of information on is the jackson and ive been to all the stores in my area and they dont have any of them so i would like to know if you guys had any thoughts or opinions on these basses? thanks! :help:

2. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I personally think the ESP would have the most tonal variety. I have owned 3 ESP basses and they have been pretty good quality. I have a Schecter guitar, and it is also made nicely. I just don't like the look of the stargazer. Never tried a Jackson though.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The jacksom. While I do like the ESP Ltd B & F series I'm not found ofthe one your looking at. Between comprable prices ESP Ltd B or F series to the jackson, Id still pick the Jackson myself for sound, & neck. If you want a more agressive tone Jackson the JS version is the ticket, it also has 24 instead of 22 frets. Not a fan of the Schecter semi ricky bass. Theyre other basses are good but a bit overpriced compared to comprable Esp Ltd, Ibanez, etc. imo

4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Schecter has a lot of cool hybrid designs (i like the "Raiden" Elite and the "Ultra" bass) and their quality seems to be a great example of whats possible with modern mass production. But they tend to go for EMG pickups or make generics that sound like EMG. For me thats a bummer and any schecter bass would need an immediate pickup change. It also means that a lot of their basses sound similar, because EMG tone seems to partially ignore a lot of theories on tone.

I have never held any models from the other two brands.

5. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    I like how Schecters play... For the money they are very well made. I do somewhat agree with the EMG comment though. I use EMG's in everything except for my vintage basses. EMG HZ's however sound muddy. Anything i've bought with the HZ series ive replaced with regular EMGS...

6. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
  7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Jackson all day long.

8. The jackson is an excellent bass for the $$$. The active pups makes the bass really punchy. And the pointy headstock will defend you against drunkies and groupies!

9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    making me GAS for a Jackson to partner with my Charvel 3b...

Silver Jackson all the way

10. I confess that I've never liked the Jackson headstocks - they look like 80's relics to me.

That particular Schecter is also freakin' gorgeous and makes the Jacksons look like old shoes. I like the pickup combination on that Schecter, and the inlays on the neck really look super.

I've had a Schecter and it was one of the nicer basses I've had. Beautifully made, good balance, and to me the pickups sounded great. Only reason I sold it was that i prefer passive basses and ended up not playing the Schecter.

If I were you I'd go for the Schecter in a heartbeat.

Actually, the guy who bought the Schecter from me just decided to sell it - it's a C4XXX. It's listed on Craigslist here: http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3138859725.html . He has an old shoulder injury and decided to give up trying to learn bass. i can tell you this bass should be in pristine condition, and it's beautiful - black with cream binding.

11. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    im leaning towards the jackson now but do you think its possible to play some other genres on it like classic rock and still sound good?

12. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Schecter instruments are really well built. Mine is solid as a rock and sounds good. If you know how to EQ an amp, work with the onboard pre, and how to adjust pickup heights, the sound can work for anything. I use mine for rock, gospel and jazz. Most comfortable bass that I've ever played BTW.

I haven't played any Jackson's though, except a guitar. I hated the feel and sound of the guitar, but the basses could be a whole different ball game.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Of course. Maybe in some cases might be a little more aggressive voiced bass then the particuliar cover song original. But no biggee. Of course rolling down the treble and mids a little if needed and favoring neck pup a bit can also get you more in more average voices. But the jacksons arent going top apologize for being more aggressiver sounding then average. Which to me is good thing. Think early Juday Priest when bass player used pick instead of fingers. Or of any classic rock band whose bass player ever switched to morre modern sounding bass or pups for the day.

14. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    Ok thanks for the replies ill go with the jackson the schecter looks better in my opinion but from what i heard the jackson is the way to go..thanks!