Jackson JBP-9

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doggy79, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Doggy79

Doggy79

Feb 23, 2017
    Finland
    I just scored a somewhat rare bass. I guess this is even categorized as an outlaw bass. If I have understood correctly there were only 200 of these made and how one ended up in Finland beats me. It is in really good condition considering the age and now I don’t know what to do with it. There is very limited info on these but It could be that I have a real gem in my hands. Anyone here know anything about these?

Attached Files:

gscroggin and andruca like this.
  2. Hit up the Jackson Club here at TB and I'm sure that you will get answers.
    Fishheadjoe

3. Doggy79

Doggy79

Feb 23, 2017
    Finland
    Good idea!

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've gone one too. It's a great bass. Mine is a little more sensitive to seasonal weather changes than most of my other basses, but that makes sense considering it's a 24 fret one piece neck.

The story, as I've been told, is that in 1994 or 1995 Jackson wanted to get into basses that would appeal to pros, rather than just the metal crowd, thus the Japanese made JPB or Jackson Professional Bass series.

Unfortunately they chose to do this by blatantly copying the Marleaux Consat. Marleaux is a very small, very high end German company that only had something like 4 employees at the time.

When Jackson debuted the JPB9 at Musikmesse in Germany, the folks at Marleaux were, rightfully, upset and very nearly got Jackson kicked out of the show. A cease and desist letter soon followed from Marleaux's lawyer and Jackson stopped making the JPB9. Rumor is, as you state, that only about 200 were sold before production stopped.

There were other basses in the JPB line, with the 9 being the most fancy. I've seen a JPB8 which was the same instrument with an opaque paint finish, and a JPB7 which had PJ pickups. I believe more of the 7's and 8's were sold than the 9's, but fewer than 1500 total is the number I've read.

5. Doggy79

Doggy79

Feb 23, 2017
    Finland
    This is the same thing I have discovered so far. And its quite a good looking and playing thing. The craftmanship is also really pro. Mine had gone through fret levelling etc. a few years ago. Quite a find indeed!

6. KF2B

KF2B

Jan 28, 2013
    Finland
    Yes... Morjesta! Multa löytyy vastaava JPB-9 myöskin, Villähteellä ;-) *** and getting back to English after Finnish: I have the same bass and it is awesome. That is pretty much all I know about it and all that matters! ;-)