1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jackson o0r Aria Five stgring basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kopfjaeger, May 25, 2012.

1. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    I've been Jonesing for a fiver sting for a while now but I've not been able to find anything that scratched the itch.

I play Rickenbacker 4 strings so I'm looking for something with a similar neck feel as what I'm use to. Rickenbacker stopped making 5 strings years ago and I've come across a few for sale but they either went for a little more than what I was willing to pay or was out bid at the last moment.

I've been looking at either adding a Jackson or an Aria 5 string. Any recommendations?

None of the local music stores carry either in a 5 string so trying one before I buy looks like a long shot. By the fotos it seems the Jackson has a slim neck with slim taper. I saw the soon to be released Kelly Bird Jackson fiver string on You Tube and it looked real nice as well as neck through construction.

Any advice? Oh, I tried a Fender Jazz 5 string at the local Sam Ash several months ago and hated everything about it. I wanted to like it but it was very disappointing.

Sepp

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Been awhile since I played any Aria basses. They are very good. I do rather like the Jackson JS3 bass and can reccomend the fiver version with no hesitation. Necks are not as narrow as ESP Ltd & Ibanez but they play just as fast or faster then them to me. Better profile I think. The compound radius fretboard is also quite excellent.

3. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Aria basses are great. Especially the SB's.

4. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the input. From a neck standpoint, how is the neck taper of both basses? It appears it is a consistent taper with somewhat narrow string spacing which I think would be an easier transition going from a Rickenbacker 4 string to a 5 string when I need the low B.

Sepp