1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jackson Short Scale..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenG, Oct 16, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I made thread about it on this very forum when I first learned about the fact that it was about to be available soon: Jackson launch competition to Ibanez Mikro!

Haven't tried it myself, and probably am not going to bother buying one.

So unless I somehow some other way get my hands on one to try it out, I doubt there will be much of a real chance for me ever trying it out.

My main reason for not feeling the urge to invest in one over another Mikro is mainly due to looks admittedly.

The Mikro just look that much more well designed visually to me, while the Jackson looks somewhat clumpsy or goofy.

Of other reasons for me not feeling the Minion is an atractive alternative to the Mikro, is the fact that the Minion got a non reverse P pickup unlike the Mikro, jumbo sized frets instead of the Mikro's medium ones and finally the fact that it's got a poplar body vs. the Mikro's mahogany one.

The only thing that really speaks for the Jackson in my book is the fact that the neck is reinforced with graphite rods which should make it more stable, but even that isn't really a big seller to me, as I actually find the neck on the Mikros, at least mine, surprisingly sturdy and stable.

Beside the above mentioned points the two instruments does more or less have the same specs and features and even sells just about at the same price point.

Going to be interesting to see if the Jackson Minion really will become any serrious competition to the Ibanez Mirko, or it will mainly be the same people buying the Mikro anyway who then will buy a Minion as an addition to their sub short scale bass colection.

To be realistic I think the Minion will most likely find a short lived production time span, and then give in to Ibanez who is and has been the dominating not to say only provider in this niche market for a while now.

On the other hand it would be nice if the market was really big enough to support more available viable options for these type of instruments.

I have a feeling it isn't though, and that Jackson is too close to what Ibanez is already offering with their Mikro, while at the same time not really bringing anything new or better to it either for it to ever really develop into a success.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    ZenG likes this.
  2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Nice.
    Cool inlays, no pickguard, lovely Silver finish, PJ, 38mm neck, VVT, P body shape.
    That ticks a lot of boxes for me.
    I like it.
    I even like the pointy headstock.
    I loved the 80's.

irjason likes this.
  3. Yep. I remember your other thread on the Jackson SS.

I just figured by now somebody would have bought one.

Welcome back,btw.......:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. Found one demo on YouTube:-

5. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, certainly sounds like it puts out a good deal of punch, more so than compared to a Mikro from stock.

Also the pickups seems more balanced regarding output, in as the jazz pickup actually seems useful soloed on the Jackson.

Sounds good!

My major concern is still the jumbo frets, which I am sure would feel uncomfortable for me.

Otherwise I admit I am tempted, despite I like the visual design of the Mikro a lot better, to buy a black or green Jackson Minion over a weathered black Ibanez Mikro as I originally planned to, sometime soon.

Edit!: Actually the video has changed my mind to such a degree that I am prtetty sure by now that my next bass is in fact going to be a Jackson Minion (most likely the neon green one), instead of the weathered black Ibanez Mikro I originally had planned buying.

Going to order one comming 1st of November, and most likely, if it turns out to be a greater player than the Mikro I already got, and which is my current main, I will install the Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker neck replacement pickup in the far neck position of the Minion as well, instead of installing it in my Mikro, as was my original plan.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    ZenG likes this.
  6. lg_GSRM20SLB.gif 2915555518_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Looking at them both I'm not sure the fret thing is an issue...if there is a difference I can't really see it at this time...both have 22 frets..

pcake likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    It's the fret wire, the fret wire used in Mikro's is medium the fret wire used in Minion's is jumbo.

It relates to how broad and high the fret wire is.

Also at the moment I am actually reconcidering, pondering on a third alternative that I got an offer on, namely the now discontinued ESP Ltd B-4 JR, which is a 28,5" 24 fret bass, that unlike the Jackson's and Ibanez's modern C profile neck has a thin U profile, a fret board radius of 15,7" vs. the Mikro's and Minion's 12" and only features one single P pickup, but otherwise is much similar the other two basses regarding specs and features.

I plan on routing the body out to take an additional pickup though, if the ESP is in fact what I end up chosing to get, though I still would like some feedback on the overall quality of this instrument in comparance, before my final decition on which of the 3 basses to get.

ZenG likes this.
  8. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Here’s mine. I’m loving it. Well body and neck wise I’m loving it. I upgraded with Nordy pickups and hipshot tuners and kickass bridge. It’s a great lil bass. Loved it before the upgrades. Really loving it now
    4D7324A3-5BDC-4F9E-9D61-0DEF741D78C8.jpeg

9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    how's the neck dive on the little jackson?

and what's the neck profile like? i didn't buy a 28.6" scale LTD because it was a D - or maybe a U - profile, and i've never liked those.

11. Uncle Johnson

Uncle Johnson

Jan 13, 2019
    Finland
    Ghost thread revival!

Would you happen to remember model or part numbers for these?

There isn't any. At least with a proper leather strap.

What strings have you guys used in these? It seems to be impossible to find 28,6" strings except Micro ones. I have heard that some use regular lenght and just rewind that thick part over the post? Little skeptic sincse I have bad memories with this method from the past with my former EB-0.

Few impressions on my Little-Concert:
    -Fret job was awful. Had to file almost entire treble side of the neck.
    -Neck pocket shape isnt the same as the neck is? Cant really see unlesss you thake the neck off.
    -Sustain is not present with my one. I still have stock strings on it so this could be easily repaired. One of the strings is entirely dead so...
    -Tuners are not in line. Some of them are tilted and the tuning pegs on E and A actually touch eachother when pegs are parralel. (Going to fix this with aftermarket tuners and proper installation / alignment)

+It is light but feels sturdy!
    +Super easy to play. "My" one is actually misses and she likes it (apart from the sustain)

funkybassplayer likes this.
  12. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Uncle.. I'll have to check which number they are!

I actually just played mine this weekend and flew with it lol.

13. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    I didn't have the fret problems you seemed to have and do not recall what the neck pocket was but upgrading to a Hipshot KickAss bridge was a perfect fit and big improvement to the sustain and tone. The tuners, I gotta find the model number but they're the Y key. They're pretty close to touching when all turned flat but they do clear each other.

You're right. It is a light and small bass but it's very sturdy. With the Hipshot hardware and Nordstrand PJ set it's taken this bass to the next level. Lemme see if I can find what string set I'm using too.

FYI I use a Gator Transit guitar gig bag and it rides perfectly and safely.

staurosjohn likes this.
  14. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    the wife and I were just discussing this bass...in Pavo purple...she has recently started playing but i think she has stated she prefers medium scale (she currently has a Ibanez Mikro 29" scale and a Luna Pandora which is 32" scale) I think she is leaning towards the new Fender Mustang or Jag at this point

15. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
  16. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    Played one unplugged and really liked the feel.

17. jussi

jussi

Dec 26, 2006
    Bulgaria
    Anyone tried the new model (white with maple fingerboard)?

Thinking of getting one but can't find any reviews. Would like to know about the quality of that maple and if the fingerboard is the only difference to the older model..