1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jackson Slideking lap / pedal steel bass - fretless players w/back issues rejoice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lossfizzle, Mar 12, 2016.

1. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    I was at the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree yesterday, which is one of the big-deal int'l steel guitar gatherings annually, and I saw something I'd not seen in my years of attendance / steel-guitar scholarship-- specifically, a lap steel four-string bass with console legs, made by Jackson Steel Guitars.

The one at the show was equipped with a pitch-raise bridge, basically a handmade, individually-machined whammy bar with a user-fixed range of pitch raise (probably maxed to about a whole step), with roller bridge to match. It's also probably not clear from my crappy cell pics that the fretlines and dots are actually engraved a full 1/8" or so into the body, which is a pretty sexy detail in person.

20160311_173035. 20160311_172917. 20160311_172855.

To my surprise, it was quite playable, and while I didn't get to hear it plugged in, the basic plank had a distinct upright-bass character when played as intended. I never would have thought a conventional steel-guitar bar would work very well on roundwound bass-gauge strings, but... huh, whaddaya know.

The version in *this* video, meanwhile, apparently has pedals / selective pitch changes available at the floor a la pedal steel. Please note that to my knowledge, Zane is more of a steel player than a bass player. Not that his playing is at all shabby, but I have to wonder how this demo would have sounded w/o fingerpicks.

Anyway, I just thought this thing was way cool and I haven't seen it mentioned here before, so I thought I might do so!

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Very cool!

3. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Wow, I never imagined there would be a lap steel bass. Much less that it would sound this good!

4. Cool! Now I want one!

5. Lap steel bass is pretty cool, I sometimes use my fretless basses that way. John Paul Jones has done some interesting stuff on his solo CDs.