1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jacksonville, FL

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, May 9, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Off I go Sunday night to Jacksonville. I'm actually working in Douglas, Georgia but opted to fly into Jacksonville so I could make a quick run down to Gainesville on Monday when I land.

I'll be around Monday through Thursday.

-Mike

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    When you get to Lawtey on 301 and you see that sign the says, "Speed limits strictly enforced" you had better by God believe it. You'll be OK through Starke but then you'll hit Waldo and had better slow it down again. Seriously, they will nail you at 1 mile over and it'll cost you $150. Each additional mile over is like $12.

I used to be a paramedic in Stark and went through Waldo all lit up one night and some Barney Fife chased me all the way to the burn center in Gainesville and wanted to arrest me in the parking lot as I was pushing a patient into the ER. True story.

You're welcome.

3. ha, thats crazy. please explain in more detail :hyper:

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My girlfriend's originally from Jacksonville. I keep trying to talk her into moving back there (because I hate winter in the North). She keeps telling me that I need to be there in the middle of the summer to experience real heat. I say that it has to be better than a cold winter. :D

5. As someone who has experienced both, you're wrong, your girlfriend is right.

You can always put more clothes on to stay warm, but you can only take off so much to try and stay cool before they arrest you for indecent exposure.

We haven't even begun to discuss humidity, which is the REAL issue in the southeast during summer...I spent 20 years in Orlando, and 20 more before that in New Orleans. In both places the thermometer would race the hygrometer to 100 and usually tie on a daily basis from about April until late October.

Hell on earth.

Never ever going back. North Carolina is a nice compromise, not enough humidity to be an issue in summer even when it is in the upper 90's, and just cold enough in winter to get a couple of snowfalls but not be icy and slushy all winter.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wait a cotton-pickin-minute. I thought you were 18 or 19?

:D :D

-Mike

7. Chronologically, or psychologically/emotionally/intellectually?

:D

....FWIW, I was 6 when I moved to the NOLA area.

:eek:

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I guess it's relative. My aunt, who is from Pennsylvania as I am as well, moved to Florida, and she says she'll take the heat and humidity anyday over our winters.

I'm currently in NC on an internship, and I dig the weather. Snow did suck, because they kind of don't know what to do when it happens. They don't use road salt, so the roads turn into compacted snow and ice. I came into NC back in February right after a snow storm, and it sucked getting around for a day or two.

9. Really? Where in NC are you?

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm in Winston-Salem.

11. Dude, you're FIFTEEN MINUTES AWAY.

PM incoming.

12. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    Funny stuff. my wife just left 3 hours ago to drive her moms caddy down to JAX. i'm headed down there in 2 weeks to stay for a week, then bring the girls home.

my 3 year old daughter gets her first plane trip with grandma tomorrrow.

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    What the heck are you going to be doing in Douglas? The last time I was there, Douglas consisted of a gas station and a mexican restaurant.

Incidentally, that is where Mo Tucker of the Velvet Underground lives (last time I checked). Nice lady.