Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jackstadt cello!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nextyoyoma, Nov 15, 2004.

1. nextyoyoma

nextyoyoma

Nov 15, 2004
    For those of you who know Albert Jackstadt, I wanted to tell you all that I have a cello that he made (for all I know, the only onoe he made). I know a bit of history of it. A friend of mine used to play in youth symphony with Jackstadt's daughter in Cincinnati, and apparently she played this cello that he had made for her. This instrument was made in 1976, and I'm not exactly sure about its value. It was purchased for $2800, but some have (unofficialy) estimated its value at close to $8k, namely Paul Becker of Becker and Son. I don't think he would mind me posting that here since I'm not trying to sell it to anyone here. Just thought you would be interested to know, as I understand from my bass friends that his work is very well known, and none of them had ever heard of him making a cello.

Honestly, I don't think his cello work is on par with his bass, understandably. The actions have always felt a little high, it doesn't project as well as some other cellos (though it isn't terrible), and it is somewhat limited in color variety. It has a somewhat unusual design, as well. The top and back are sculpted a good bit higher than most cellos, and the neck (much to my delight) is very skinny. Unfortunately, this cello is just hard to play, especially in the upper registers (above V position). Thumb position can be especially painful on this cello, largely due to the higher actions. I had Paul Becker do some setup work on it, and the instrumet was much easier to play for a few weeks, but then it went back to the way it was. He I also asked him about maybe changing tailpieces to try to get more color, and he thought that the setup I had was working well. Unfortunately, my cello teacher wants me to get a better instrument, so I will have to try to sell it at some point...trouble is, the person I bought it from wants to buy it back from me if I sell it, but considering she sold it to me for $2800, and that I could possibly get 6 or 7 for it...I don't really know what to do, hehe. In any case, I won't be selling it anytime soon. I'm in the Louisville, KY area if anyone would like to see/play the instrument (just as a matter of interest, I'm trying to attract buyers or anything.) If anyone has heard of any other Jackstadt cellos, let me know!

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Jeez, Ken I couldn't get the hot link to open. Are you sure you posted it correctly.

Anyway, Andy Stetson at http://www.basscellar.com worked with Jackstadt for a while in Cincinnati. Go to his website and e-mail him. He might be able to help you out with some first hand knowledge.

Additionally, Nick Lloyd (fellow talkbasser and luthier extraordinaire) may also know. He's been around Cincy for a while.

Hope that helps.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    He was being sarcastic. ;)

4. nextyoyoma

nextyoyoma

Nov 15, 2004
    Excuse me KSB, didn't know I was invading your little bass world...I do play bass, and I own one, I just thought you might be interested to hear about another instrument that a great bass-maker made. CELLO is in the subject line, if you didn't want to read it, you didn't have to. Anyway, thanks for the advice about finding more information on the instrument, everyone.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ken was just being sarcastic, as stated. Don't stone him for cracking a joke. I thought it was pretty funny myself....

6. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Come on Aaron. Did you really think that I didn't know Ken was being sarcastic. Check out my Join Date, I have been lurking this site long before it looked anything like it looks today. Anyway, I also found it quite humorous. I just refuse to use "smilies" under any circumstance........ever.

7. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    :)

8. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    He doesn't like smiles... :crying:

9. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Are you guys being sarcastic?

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    No, facetious. [insert cute smily here]

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Why don't you do a search for Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Percy Heath, Ron Carter, Dave Holland playing the cello? In other words the cello is not unrelated to the bass in function and technique and is of interest to some of us. If it is not to you then just move the he11 on to something that is ya crusty bass-tard.

12. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Very good!

13. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yeah, I just love the moving ones.

14. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I think that the next time I post a joke, I should aim a little lower. They just seen to fly over too many heads !!

BTW, I too have owned a Cello, did repairs on it as well as an Old Bernadel for a NY Pro back in the 70s. I have also had my hands on 2 Tononi Cellos and a Goffriller and many others. I try not to bring my Cello stories here as they might belong in 'Misc DB'.

The Cello is no longer related musically that closely unless you are in an Orchestra and they are playing Mozart with Cello-Bass Parts both playing the same stuff, you are listening to the Cellos so you know when to come in, or you tune your Cello like a Bass because you can't play in fifths or don't have a Guitar!

Or....'none of the above" !!

15. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Ken:

I still can't get on talkcello.com. :hyper: :bassist: :cool: :D :rollno: :cool: :p

16. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You can't get on it because they are all busy playing instead of talking. Maybe you and a bunch of your 'cellist' friends can start your own website. I'll sell you the name concept and collect a small royality.

Call me only if you talk about Basses tuned in fifths.. Oh, and jbonny, you forgot to mention Sam Jones who also recorded 'Sonny Boy' and ' Somewhere Over the Rainbow' on Cello in the 60s.........

17. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I though calling you a crusty "bass-tard" was playing along. I laughed when I read cellotalk.com.

18. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    "Unfortunately, my cello teacher wants me to get a better instrument" ...and the playablility issues you mention don't make it sound like an $8,000 instrument.

19. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Maybe not what you're looking for but I have an NS Designs electric cello with a Coda electric bow I'm thinking about selling in Vancouver.

jeff
    jeffbonny@shaw.ca

20. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    You mean me? Yeah I'm in Langley, but right now I'm looking to save for a double bass.